I had an issue this morning in regard to exporting a file from an 8.1.7 Sun db to a 8.1.6 db on a Linux box. It was related to the export executable.
I didn't know THEN that export/import utility is not backward compatible. i.e. cannot export from 8.1.7 to 8.1.6. Which I thought that was strange, since they aren't major Oracle realeases.
SO, I thought I'd do a post if somebody else had the same query.
Basically you have to use the 8.1.6 export utility to export the 8.1.7 database. How do you do this? Well, as I found, or more to the point couldn't find the solution on Metalink, set about fiddling around. And basically came up with the following solution.
On the 8.1.6 server
edit the listener.ora and tnsname.ora file.
Add the lines from the 8.1.7 server listener.ora and tnsnaems.ora lines to the 8.1.6 files. Changing the following things. The listeners_name to LISTERN_1 and the SID_LIST_LISTENER to SID_LIST_LISTERNER_1 and the PORT number it listens on, from PORT = 1521 to PORT = 1522.
Then you'll end up with 2 LISTENERS (LISTENER and LISTENER1) and 2 SID_LIST_LISTENERS (SID_LIST_LISTENER, SID_LIST_LISTENER1) and 2 diferent ports (PORT = 1521 and PORT = 1522), virtually doubling the size of your listener file.
> lsnrctl reload
then sqlplus to the other server (8.1.7) from the 8.1.6 box. i.e.
you should connect. Then SELECT * FROM v$version; and see if you have conencted to the 8.1.7 database.