DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: db_file_name_convert

Hi all :
    I am preparing to do the setup for Standby Database.
    My requirement is
    At the primary DB. the datafiles are in diff. location
    like /u01..... , /u02....
    while using the db_file_name_convert parameter at the standby database. i tried to give in two lines as we don't have like archive_dest1 to dest_5.
    it gave the error

ORA-01678: parameter db_file_name_convert must be two strings, a pattern and a replacement

Pl. suggest me how i have to implement db_file_name_convert for datafilesof the primary DB at diff. mount points.

Srinivas Reddy Tatireddy

You have to specify the file name full paths as from what file name to what file name, one by one.

BTW, what is the OS and Oracle version
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Originally posted by sambavan
    You have to specify the file name full paths as from what file name to what file name, one by one.
    That is certanly not the case. You don't need full path-and-filenames, you can use only partial conversion strings.

For example, if your primary datafiles are named '/u01/dbs/PRIM/fileXY.dbf' and you wan't this file to appear on standby as '/u01/dbs/STBY/fileXY.dbf', then all you need in this parameter is:

DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT = ('/PRIM/','/STBY/'). This will convert *all* your datafile names from '/u01/dbs/PRIM/...' to '/u01/dbs/STBY/...'.

However the question "What is your Oracle version?" is a crucial one here.

Prior to Oracle9i, you only can use one "conversion strings pair" in DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT, i.e. DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT=('from_string', 'to_string'), and you can only have one line with this parameter in your init file (not like in UTL_FILE_DIR, where you can have as many occurances as you want). So in efect with one replacement string pair you have to solve all your filename conversions.

However in 9i you still can have this parameter listed only once, but you can have many "conversion pairs" in this single parameter, i.e. DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT=('from_string1', 'to_string1', 'from_string2', 'to_string2', ....).
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by sambavan
    Sam
    It was based on

Originally posted by tatireddis

My requirement is
    At the primary DB. the datafiles are in diff. location
    like /u01..... , /u02....
    Again as you know, I prefer to be on the long path
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

if you have problems using db_file_name_convert i guess,
    you can directly perform the renaming of the file to the destination path using a script and discard the db_file_name_convert parameter too.

Thanx
    Sanjay