DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle Certification

Help with Oracle Certification

Hi Guys,

I wanted to go for Oracle 8i certification, can anybody suggest any place to get good material, sites or books is very much apprciated.

PDH

Re: Help with Oracle Certification

I would suggest:

Oracle8i Certified Professional DBA Certification Exam Guide
    by: Jason Couchman & Ulrike Schwinn
    ISBN: 0072130601

Definitely. It's a great book!
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

You can use http://www.brainbuzz.com for some example questions.
    Jeff Hunter

Sybex certification guides.

Buy the way, has Couchman decided to put the Net Admin exam in his book yet, or is he still insisting on putting the chapters on CD only?
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

go to ebay.com and search for sts and oracle. their is lots of people sellin their stuffs.
    OCP DBA 8i
    ocpwannabe@yahoo.com
    -----------------------------
    When in doubt, pick 'C'.

Quite a few of the OCP DBA's on this forum have praised and recommended Couchman's book. I don't understand how on amazon.com the book gets bad reviews from lots of readers, about multiple errors in the book and what not.

Confounding considering that Ulrike Schwinn who co-authors the book is also one of the writers of the ILT texts.

Sybex seems to get good reviews except for their Back up and Recovery section, but is probably not as popular as Couchman's book.

Quite a few of the OCP DBA's on this forum have praised and recommended Couchman's book. I don't understand how on amazon.com the book gets bad reviews from lots of readers, about multiple errors in the book and what not.
    Anyone can write reports in amazon.com. The same holds for Metalink BTW, any Oracle employee can post a note. That is why often notes in Metalink contain contradictory information.

Errors from the Couchman text can be found at http://www.exampilot.com

This is a great book to structure your learning methods. No resource should be taken as the absolute authority. Only a good variety will provide a well rounded base. I outlined the entire Couchman text while preparing for each exam. Now I have my own resource that I know well and is easy to use. You cannot take a review seriously unless you know the basis of such a review and point of view of the person giving it - which is not usually stated.
    Arm yourself with knowledge

Originally posted by speedracer

Confounding considering that Ulrike Schwinn who co-authors the book is also one of the writers of the ILT texts.

Sybex seems to get good reviews except for their Back up and Recovery section, but is probably not as popular as Couchman's book.
    You're right.. If there is a contest for the most boring Oracle book then I think the Couchman's book would automatically get that undisputed title. Go for the Sybex series if reading is not one of your hobbies.