DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OCP is worth nothing

having working with oracle for several yrs. I decided to take the OCP.. you guess what!! when i recieved my cetification i am very disappointed..There are two things a piece of plastic with your name on it .Anyone can fake it easily. How the hell Lary Ellision suggested a national ID but his OCP does not !! and a piece of paper signed my VP of Oracle....no companies care about who have or have no OCP.
    jonathannguyen

Did you Jonathan expect that the certificate be signed by the Queen of England?

I THINK PRIME MINISTER OF CANADA SHOULD SIGN IY
    AND QUEEN OF ENGLAND SHOULD ENDOTSE IT AND U.N. SECY GENERAL SHOULD DELIVER IT TO U.
    Shaan - Virginia - USA
    rshaan@hotmail.com

hehehe juL It would be great if President Bush can sign my card jk... i expect something like a bank card so no one can fake it or a ID# that can verify you a OCP..Oracle should have a site that lists all OCP' members.
    jonathannguyen

Oracle should have a site that lists all OCP' members.
    I agree with the above. I do not know if Microsoft or Cisco have such sites but it sounds like a good idea.

Originally posted by jonathan
    i expect something like a bank card so no one can fake it or a ID# that can verify you a OCP..Oracle should have a site that lists all OCP' members.
    Im also disappointed by the stuff that Oracle sent to me. it will be nice to see a card with an ID number to verify you are an OCP, its also nice if OCPs get their own account name and password on the OCP members page, at least to make us feel that we are somehow part of Oracle being an OCP. but i would have to disagree that OCP is worth nothing, studying for the exam and passing all the exams is such an achievement and not everybody can be an OCP, Im sure that being an OCP must be worth something to you, right?

BTW, is there anyway we can make our suggestions know to the people in charged of the OCP program? email or something? Cause im sure that we have a lot of suggestions and comments on the OCP program. I do hope that we are important to Oracle.

[Edited by D Maverick on 02-05-2002 at 06:27 AM]
    The Maverick
    Oracle Certified DBA - 8i

Damn!! Listen to you materialistic slobs. Oh boo hoo I want an engraved trophy, oh boo hoo I want a gold plated Ferrari with OCP etched on the hood.

Let’s look at the forest through the trees for a second. Instead of worrying about your current status symbol why not look at the knowledge and awareness you gained along the journey.

Shame on you all!!

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

I agree! OCP is worth nothing and I would discourage anyone from attempting to gain the certification. All you get is a greater understanding of Oracle and more confidence in your own ability!

"Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory!" - in a Bruce Lee style.

It's not about prizes, it's about getting off your ass and proving that you know your sh*t!

It would be nice to have a register, but then Oracle would not be able to lie about the number of OCPs. It would also highlight the fact that alot of OCPs are for DBOs not DBAs and Developers.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

It would be nice to have a register, but then Oracle would not be able to lie about the number of OCPs. It would also highlight the fact that alot of OCPs are for DBOs not DBAs and Developers.
    I also found very odd the statemenet that last year OCP grew from 30000 to 80000 (reference: http://www.oracle.com/education/cert...?80kocps.html) Bloody hell, this means about 600 a day! It might be true but I don't believe it :-)

And most OCPs I have met in person are in fact DBOs.

FYI - CompTia is rolling out a program that will allow certification holders (of all vendors) to register and receive a single (global if you will) ID number. You will register all your certifications...and they will be verified. This will allow for a single transcript to be available to you, or to an employer if you allow!! I think it's a good idea...finally.

Also, I remember a conversation I had with a previous Director of the OCP Program at Oracle. She indicated that the DBO Program was not performing very well at all. The numbers at that time were only a couple hundred...and it had been out for quite a number of months.

I also believe that Oracle will not release the Oracle9i version of the DBO certification...as the OCA-level of 9i DBA will cover the same material. I think that if the number of DBOs was significant, they wouldn't do that. Not to mention that no one hires DBOs, they hire Junior DBAs (sometimes)!!

There's my 2 cents.
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

--"Live" Instructor-led Online Training for Oracle9i, Java and XML--