Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OCP is worth nothing

Yes, it's real.
    Click on

http://www.rekry.com/servlet/JumpUrl...NDEX=0&x=5&y=6

and you'll see the add.

Originally posted by gee

I made mine up. Is that for real?

This will be really helpful to people who are trying to decide there future career paths.

Let's all start making things up and then we can call this the BS board.
    I think it's pretty obvious since I included "light house-cleaning" and a smiley face!
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

talk about 80,000 OCP DBA's.....i remember taking my backup class and i encountered this guy and he had just finished his exams.......the last thing you'd expect someone like him to ask is......'i really dont understand how the SQL*LOADER works'.....gee that nearly blew me of, and weeks later he got a job...lol.......and funny thing is i ran across this guy yesterday and he's O8 certified, and guess what?....we was running this command.......CREATE USER BLAH IDENTIFIED BY BLAH GRANT SELECT ALL TO BLAH WITH ADMIN OPTION;....thats one line command........God bless Larry.

As IT departments are being downsizes and silo thinking is going by the way of the DODO, IT employees are being asked to acquire a boarder range of skills (the old jack of all trades master of none comes to mind).

Example:

A Database Manager at a local regional district maintains DB2, Oracle and MS SQL Server doing everything from low level DBA tasks to high level data modeling/database implementation tasks.

He also does .asp and j2ee web application development, systems analysis, etc.

I believe people thinking of starting a career in IT should beaware that DBA may be one of many skills they may have to acquire to become successful in IT.

That’s my opinion what’s yours?

Gee,
    OCP
    MCSE

Got to run, I am setting up a new Exchange Server on W2K.

You do see these type of requirements around but I think companies are often realistic when faced with a good resume. They know that finding a person with all these skills is going to be difficult. Even if they can list them on their CV they are probably not that good at half of them.

I have "Primary Skills" and "Secondary Skills" sections to my resume. I think it's important that people know I've worked with certain technologies but I don't claim to be an expert. I would never take a job as an SQL Server DBA, but I would take a job as an Oracle DBA where I was expected to do some SQL Server DBA work etc.

I don't think a beginner should aim to learn a bit of everything. They really must get good at something then move on. It's your classic catch-22 situation.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

I don't think a beginner should aim to learn a bit of everything. They really must get good at something then move on.

Agree.

Gee

Originally posted by julian

· J2EE (EJB, Servlet, JSP, JMS), XML
    · Middleware (Webshere, Weblogic, Orion)
    · Oracle, DB2, SQL, Sybase
    · Linux, Unix, Windows NT

Julian, they are dreaming. Somebody with experience in all those technologies.... if there is, I can garuntee they aren't an EXPERT in any of them. They've probably have read all the "Learn 'enter language/technology here' in 24 Hours" books.

Later
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Smile

I started to prepare for Oracle 8 dba track two years ago due to my ilness and problem i coould only made 1st paper of it. And now 31 march announced as date of retiring Oracle 8 DBA Track. Now i am going for Oracle 8i. I am OTN member since 1999 while i was working for System Integrater. Since then i have got so much from Oracle. Oracle & Profit and lots of free softwares. I am still not certified DBA but got lot of stuff from there regarding Oracle Studies. Yes on posint i wanna raise that Oracle Education encourage there own Oracle University courses. I bought ILT from oracle but they are so poorly prepared for both exams and DBA tasks leave you in circles and circles. Comparing this stuff with others Like Sun , Cisco , and even Microsoft their own exams guide are much better then Oracle. Well Oracle Documentation is best as comparing to others. Oracle should change their Policy regarding creating more Oracle professionals so they cam make big money .

yes Mircosoft and Cisco has it all.... On there is an ID# on microsoft and cisco.
    jonathannguyen

[B]
    Originally posted by julian

· J2EE (EJB, Servlet, JSP, JMS), XML
    · Middleware (Webshere, Weblogic, Orion)
    · Oracle, DB2, SQL, Sybase
    · Linux, Unix, Windows NT

This is a java developer with j2ee and app server experience who has developed prepared statements and used jdbc on various OSs and at least one major relational db.

Doesn't seem that exceptional to me. Does the ad ask for admin experience for some of the skills above?
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g