DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: archive log mode removal

I have an oracle 8.1.6 database with archive log mode enabled and configured. I went into DBA studio and removed archive log mode and hit the apply button. DBA studio then attempts to bounce my database but has been on the same screen for about two hours, stuck at the "shutting down database" step. I don't want to end task because I will leave the database in an unknown state. And I don't have a dump file to restore from. How do I know if this operation is going to go through or not? What do I do if it just sits here?
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

What's the database doing? Are the disks spinning? Is there an error in the alert.log? Are any oracle processes using CPU?
    Jeff Hunter

The database doesn't appear to be doing anything... The RAID array isn't doing anything either... the image with the gears is still going though and I can move the box around... Task manager reports that the application is running but all the cpu cycles are dedicated to idle processes.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

I would guess it is hung. To take your DB out of archivelog mode:
    svrmgrl
    connect internal
    shutdown immediate
    startup mount exclusive
    alter database noarchivelog
    shutdown immediate
    startup

Jeff Hunter

here is the error I got in the windows 2000 application log

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Oracle.ewpd
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 20
    Date: 2/1/2002
    Time: 10:53:45 AM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EWPD01
    Description:
    Archive process error: ORACLE Instance ewpd - Can not allocate log, archival required
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

I can't log into server manager because it says that my database is in the process of shutting down.
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Check your log_archive_dest, it may be full. Also, make sure you have automatic archiving turned on by checking the init.ora parameter log_archive_start=true.
    Jeff Hunter

I know I didn't have auto archiving turned on and since DBA studio is still doing something I can't make any changes at all. What would happen if I end tasked on DBA studio and restarted the server. Could I get my data back?
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA

Same thing happened to me while I am using DBA studio for shutdown immediate , but not alter database noarchlog ;

That time I loggged as internal into svrmgrl .. I issued shutdown abort .. I know I don't have any transactions pending .. In your case if any transactions pending , they won't rollback .. It should allow you to logon as internal saying connected idle instance or some message ...
    Raghu

Thanks again Jeff... that's two in one day... lol

I did an end task and then a shutdown abort, removed archivelog and then restarted the db... everything seems to be working fine. Is there anything else I need to do now that the db is back up?
    Chester Ney
    CODY Computer Services
    System DBA