DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: import .exp file

Hi All,
    I've received a database from a client in the .exp format and I need to import it but I'm only familiar with .dmp files that I've created. I have tried the imp utility but it asks me for information about the exporting database that I don't have. Do you have any ideas on how to import this db? Do I need to go back to the client to find out more information about the export?

Any thoughts would be great!
    Thanks

What kind of information is it asking for?

The .exp may just be how that administrator names the export files. That's how I name mine and the usually import just fine.

It asks me for the FromUser but I don't know the specifics about their users. I figured the .exp may be just because that's the name the administrator choose but I wasn't sure. I looked through the file and I think I found the username of the schema owner so I guess I'll need to create that user in order to import????

If you do know the username that was exported, you can import into any user you want by using either the FROMUSER= [old username] TOUSER = [your new username] or the FULL= Y parameters

can I use the FULL=Y is I don't know if they've done a full export of user export?

I'm pretty sure the FULL= Y just means to import the entire export file. So if they only did a user export, you'll only get that user.

Thanks JDF,

I created the user and the data is in!! Thanks for your help and tips.