DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever after I am certified, I can no longer find a job

Originally posted by julian
    I think http://www.oracle-base.com is the best 9i site on the Internet, bar none.

Now my heads starting to swell
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Re: i agree if you disclose your certification

Originally posted by jonathan
    of course you will be discriminated. I have faced the same situation several times at an interview. The interviewer are well awared that you are certified he like to attacked you with dummy questions(not a professional one)
    Just got home from an interview with one of the big six consulting firm, i kinda feel the same way you do, its not that they attacked me with dummy question, but rather they really come prepared and loaded with questions to test and challenged my Oracle knowledge. I kinda feel discriminated in a way, but then again, i might just be paranoid.

Well i really hope they'll call me within a day or two for another interview.
    The Maverick
    Oracle Certified DBA - 8i

That surprises me. I feel the opposite really. I feel peoples attitude to me is more, "You've got the certification so we won't bother with the technical stuff!". I've got alot of experience so perhaps the combination of the two makes them think I must be OK and makes my life easier where interviews are concerned??
    Tim...
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director

To add something to the subject: I have noticed that Oracle people who have vaguely heard about OCP or never heard are most negative towards it.

Last year, was it an Oracle employee, told me: "I think that OCP has no value, because anybody can memorize that stuff for one day and forget it the next". I just smiled, did not respond...

I have more than 1 1/2 years Oracle DBA experience, but if your an OCP they expect you to know everything, w/c is ofcourse not the case. there is a definte bias during interviews compared to non OCPs with same yrs of experience.
    The Maverick
    Oracle Certified DBA - 8i

Sir

I know only one thing that where there is a will there is a way and dark clouds have silver linings.

Keep your spirits up.
    And you can get what you want because Sky is the limit.

All the best
    Shaan - Virginia - USA
    rshaan@hotmail.com

Originally posted by D Maverick
    I have more than 1 1/2 years Oracle DBA experience, but if your an OCP they expect you to know everything, w/c is ofcourse not the case. there is a definte bias during interviews compared to non OCPs with same yrs of experience.
    I do know everything! I'm just not prepared to share all of it with the world
    Tim...
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director

Question

jonathan

"of course you will be discriminated. I have faced the same situation several times at an interview. The interviewer are well awared that you are certified he like to attacked you with dummy questions(not a professional one)."

Could you give some examples of dummy questions you have been asked? I ask the same questions whether a candidate is OCP or not.

OCP Certification

From my experience in the recruitment industry you will be experiencing some diffuclty in getting through interviews due to the amount of competition from all the other individuals looking for work. This is why current employers are being so strigent in their interviewing process (because they can)

All I can say is that I saw a similar siutation when the Micrsoft Certification and Lotus Notes certification schemes were implemented soon all employers asked for certified people only. As the market picks up (and all my old colleagues in recruitment land are very busy) you will find the the OCP will become a differentiator, favouring those candidates with certification and experience.

The OCP won't get you the job but it will get you those interviews in the future especially when clients direct agencies to only look for OCP qualified people.

steve
    http://www.theoraclejobsite.com

Hello!

I used visit this site almost everyday. Now try to visit at least once a week.

I find this topic very interesting. Let me share my side. Before that let me thank Tim Hall. His site helps me a lot when I do not carry my CD case. Also I visit his site for other references. So, keep up good work.

Now my side: I am working as an oracle dba little over 7 years, used to be an experienced Engineer. Gave up because it is big name but no money. When I saw guy came from overseas with no or little college education and making over 70K, I thought I am in wrong business. So, I went to Oracle web and downloaded oracle7 and started my own. Later, Enroll in one of the tech school for 2 months weekend class. After I completed the school I was took my first test. Fist test was SQL for Oracle7/8, did not pass, waited 30 days and took it again this time passed it, there on everything gone my way, passed all testes and land a Job with company via friend I meet in my Oracle class. The Director interviewed me was an older gentlemen with long programming background. He like what I presented and told him why I am changing my profession. I told him I will be retire before I can make my entry level Oracle dba salary. I get in with 55K as starting.

In the mean time lots have change in our Oracle world! Changed job once and got laid off last January, but landed contract again within 2 months, with good pay. In this two month I got a several interview, and one with Oracle. I will give brief about Oracle only because they should know better about OCP. I got the interview via an agency.

When I went to the brand new Oracle data center, I saw what was expected, everything State of the art, but when I saw the main person will interview me I got very disappointed with his personal hygiene. I never saw such a person. But any way, he took me to the conference room with other two people and one over the bridge from the main office.

Fist question was, Ohne! You are OCP, OK tell me this, tell this, you should know all these because you are an OCP. At that point I decide I will not going work for these people and start asking my question. First question I asked how long you all in this country (USA). Have you ever try to take any of the OCP test? After few of my questions, person (Manager) from California took over and he try to conclude the interview in civilize way. My final comment was oracle should require all dba to be Certified and Main office guy laugh.

Beside that I receive very well with my OCP credential. Also now a day my resume gets standout because I think for my 3-OCP and 7 years of experience. So do not let down, keep up, keep use your OCP and you will get notice.

By the way I had to take several other test like proveIT, and other test for all this agencies. They think they own you and now a day you do not have any choice. I think these agencies are parasites, making living on us.

Thanks,
    OraMan