DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ever after I am certified, I can no longer find a job

Cool

I was a scientist(Phd level). In my work I used some oracle database. One day in 1998, I find a job as a oracle dba(career change) and worked for about three years, like a jr or mid level dba. From last april, the firm I worked with is closed down.
    For a better job, I think I should get certified before I get back into the job market. It is proved foolish and wrong. Ever after I am certified dba 8i, I can no longer find any work. A friend of mine said to me most the sr. dbas are not certified, they hates people certified and suggest I don't put certification on my cv. It is weired and pathetic, right? But is it true? Please help me!!!

Hello Learner, What is your PhD in ? And why did you not pursue research, professorship or work in the line of your PhD ? If you are based in USA, there are lots of universities looking for professors all the time.

Why did you choose to shift to DBA work ? Also, which country/city are you based in ? It's news to me that employers are scorning the OCP DBA label. I know employers mock lesser known certifications...

Thumbs up

Originally posted by Learner
    A friend of mine said to me most the sr. dbas are not certified, they hates people certified and suggest I don't put certification on my cv. It is weired and pathetic, right? But is it true? Please help me!!!
    I think it's jealousy.. some of them declared Sr. DBA simply because they got in the industry earlier than us not necessarily that they know any better. Well, be optimistic about the future, I think the economy is slowly turning around so hang in there tight. Good luck !!

A friend of mine said to me most the sr. dbas are not certified, they hates people certified and suggest I don't put certification on my cv.
    I am a senior DBA and I am certified. I was in an OPS seminar recently where there were senior DBAs from several Scandinavian countries, most were certified. I have met non-certified senior DBAs, they are mostly people who got into the business when there was no certification, they simply know how to do the daily tasks, but they don't know all possibilities and methods Oracle offers. If they want to become certified, they will have to learn all the stuff. They might not want to do that because they might not need it in and you see, there is always the chance that they fail the exam. Imagine such a senior DBA coming to work after the exam, all the guys asking: Well, how did it go?, and he say: Well, I did fail. How will that reflect on his reputation? An Oracle employee from a central European country told me once that this fear of not passing the exam is the reason why some Oracle employees do not attend the exams. You know, not everybody passes the OCP exams :-)

I agree with the fear thing. I was nervous when I started the OCP thing. I too thought, if I fail it means I'm a crap DBA. On reflection I probably was anyway :-)

As for OCP being a hindrance, if DBAs interviewing you are not confident about their abilities they may well find the OCP tag a threat. At the same time, if you are not OCP but seem really good at the interview they may also find you a threat. You don't want to work with people like this anyway so put your OCP on your CV and try your hardest. There will be companies out there that will appreciate your effort.

I too switched from science to IT after my PhD. The research thing was slow, boring and payed badly. I was a genetic engineer, a field that the press would have you believe is fast and exciting. It sucked ass!

To those people who asked why you didn't stick with research I say, try it and after it's sapped your will to live come back to IT :-)

Cheers and good luck
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Tim,

Is http://www.oracle-base.com your personal site? great site!
    I especially like the DBA Scripts area, its really very helpful.
    The Maverick
    Oracle Certified DBA - 8i

OCP is very usefull when you apply a dba job which will be the only dba position in the group or company. The person who will interview you may know very little about database. Try to find small company who only need one dba. Your PH.D and OCP will help to get these positions

Good Luck.

i agree if you disclose your certification

of course you will be discriminated. I have faced the same situation several times at an interview. The interviewer are well awared that you are certified he like to attacked you with dummy questions(not a professional one)..As an experience and certified oracle I personally feel unfair for myself and all of you as the whole. Most of older DBA are afraid of changing and new technology. They are way behind . Maybe aging factor is the cause!.yep my old boss is a good example.I think That is the reason you the certified is discriminated.
    jonathannguyen

Originally posted by D Maverick
    Tim,

Is http://www.oracle-base.com your personal site? great site!
    I especially like the DBA Scripts area, its really very helpful.
    Yes it's my site. Thanks for the complement.

I started it to store all my scripts so I didn't need to carry them round between jobs. I'm freelance so I change jobs regularly and it can become a bit of a pain to cart loads of stuff around. Once it got above a certain size it seemed sensible to make it look a bit more professional. It's another thing to go on the CV

I think all DBAs should write or gather useful scripts and articles so they can constantly refer back to them. What better way to structure them than on a website. When you change jobs regularly it's even more important as you may not use some of your skills for several weeks/months. It's far easier to get back into the swing of things if you've written yourself some how-to type articles.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

I think http://www.oracle-base.com is the best 9i site on the Internet, bar none.