DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Server Crash, please help

Unhappy

I have inherited a data warehouse in v8.0.4 running in Windows NT with service pack 3. There have been no backups performed on this server for several months. I had this server shipped to me. When I went to power up the server, a scsi card was bad so there were several volumes that failed to come up. I have fixed this problem but now my problem lies with the database.

The server was bounced several times while the card was being replaced and I have discovered that the service for the database was set to automatic. I have also been informed by the S/A at my site that when he was working on this server, he noticed that the database had failed to start on a reboot and had performed a "shutdown abort" to clean up the process. When I go into svrmgr30 to start the database, the server crashes. I can get the database to mount, but when it starts instance recovery the server will lock up or give me the "Blue Screen of Death".

Does anybody have any ideas as to how I might be able to recover this database? It can be rebuild, but that is a process that will take a few weeks. I would like to attempt additional recovery, but I'm now complete sure of the path to take. I'm not sure that rebuilding the controlfiles would work. There are no errors in the alert log to show any hints. The database is reported as coming up and the log ends when the server crashes. Is the process of instance recovery different than running a recover database command with the database mounted but not open? Any ideas will help. Thanks in advance.
    Eric Hanson

There are 10 types of people in the world:

Those who understand binary and those who don't!

Exclamation

Hello

I am not sure wheather this would work .but give it a try.Backup all your data files control files init files etc.reinstall the oracle software and try to start the database it might just work.This way you dont have to rebuild the database.

I suspect the excutables might be corrupt

regards
    Hrishy

Hi, justadba

1. Be cool...Relax...

2. Follow Mr.hrishy's advice carefully...

3. We are with you for further solution/support.

so, update your feedback at the earliest.

Anandharaj
    a_anandharaj@yahoo.com

It's back

Hrishy,

Thanks for the help. It's amazing what a few hours of sleep will produce after an 18 hour day. It wasn't a problem with Oracle or the exectables, it was an inturrupt conflict with the new scsi card. I really hate Microsoft, give me a nice stable platform like Unix any old day.

Again thanks for all your help.
    Eric Hanson

There are 10 types of people in the world:

Those who understand binary and those who don't!