DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: regarding ocp

hi,
    Can anyone let me know how to answer the ocp paper
    in an exam,is there any best way of doing it.
    Thanks
    murali

The best way is to choose only the correct answers - there is very little chance you would fail that way!
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

The trick in choosing correct answers is quite simple - study!

Have you tried it?
    Leo
    Oracle 8i OCP DBA
    Toronto, Canada

Talking

Originally posted by jmodic
    The best way is to choose only the correct answers - there is very little chance you would fail that way!
    I completely disagree, I have always felt that the BEST prescription is to not fail the test. This is a adverse of not passing, sort of like not picking the wrong answers.
    Got it?

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by rao
    hi,
    Can anyone let me know how to answer the ocp paper
    in an exam,is there any best way of doing it.
    Thanks
    murali
    On a more serious note:

- Read the questions properly. It's easy to answer the question you think you read, rather than the question that was actually asked.

- Answer every question even if it's a guess. You will not lose marks for incorrect answers.

- If you are not sure about an answer mark the question and revisit it before you finish. Don't waste time on questions you simply don't know the answer to. They will only serve to make you more nervous.

- Skip large or complicated looking questions on the first pass. They will slow you down and make you nervous. Get through the quick questions then return to the big slow questions. That way you'll feel less worried.

- Later questions may jog your memory and allow you to answer a previous question more easily. Marking unsure answers allows you to jump back more easily.

- Some questions ask for multiple answers. You are usually told how many answers to select. Select the correct number of answers even if one or more are guesses.

- When reviewing your answers, if you have a tinge of doubt stick with your first answer. Only change to an alternative if you are sure you've made a mistake. Your gut instinct is often correct but under pressure you convince yourself differently.

- In questions requiring a number for an answer, if you DON'T know the answer, pick the biggest number. The exam questions often work on the basis that if 2 works well, four must work better etc.

- Be calm. If you've done the work you'll be OK.

Good luck.

[Edited by TimHall on 01-23-2002 at 04:06 PM]
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

What really helped me as well was the fact that I used STS to prepare. I am not even talking about the knowledge, I am talking about being ready for the testing application itself. Try to get STS, not even important if it is for Oracle or something else. Even Oracle7 will do.

Regarding long questions. In my experience they are much easier than the short ones. But again - it does not matter. What matters is - you've spent time reading this question already. Try to answer it. And if you are not sure - amrk it (prior STS practice helps!).

Also I know that if English is not your first language you can get additional 30 minutes or so. I never applied for it, I had plenty of time to answer the questions, re-check marked ones and even go oover all of my questions once again. And yet had about 30 more minutes to spare, so I went over my answers again. Most of the time my first answer was a correct one.

In 001 and 023 there are a few tricky questions that are not hard, but have to be read very carefully. 025 is more straight forward test. Hope it helps.
    Leo
    Oracle 8i OCP DBA
    Toronto, Canada

Careful reviewing the STS

I recommend not reviewing the wrong answers after testing on a chapter (whichever self test you are using). Instead, re-read the chapter, and concepts will start to jump out at you. Quite tedious but it does work. There is a small percentage of questions on the actual test that are also on the STS, however some questions will look similar but expect a completely different answer - that is why I am recommending you don't review the answers - your brain will play tricks on you. Tim Hall makes some very good recommendations.

Regarding long questions. In my experience they are much easier than the short ones
    That is true. If someone is interested, in the 9i upgrade exam, almost all questions were very short.