DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: BLOBs and LOBs

Is there a limitation on the number of BLOB or LOB columns in an Oracle 8.1.7 table?

Thanks.

There is no limitation on the number of LOB, BLOB columns per table except the normal column limits for a table. the there is a limitation on size (4Gb I seem to recall)

Hope that makes sense

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

how to make blob & clob more efficient?

yes, 4GB is the limit for blob and clob.

BTW -- do you guys know any tip when using blobs and clobs? I mean, how do make sure the system's overall performance when using the b/clobs? Since I am going to work on a project using b/clobs extensively, I'd like to know what should I do during the design time to make sure they won't drag the overall performance.

TIA!

Hey Elaine;
    As luck would have it I am studying for the 8i upgrade exam and there is an entire chapter on LOB's. Do you have this ILT?
    You will find guidlines for caching or nocacheing options, using temporary LOB's, internal LOB's and the like.
    I just started reading this and really have no experience with LOB's so there is only so much I can do to help. If you can get your hands on chapter 6 of the ILT I'm sure it will help you out.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Thanks MH, but...

I am only on my 2nd OCP exam (AA), so I haven't seen much of LOBs yet. Do LOBs appear in Performance Tuning?

Thanks for the info!