DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RAC Newbie

Hey guys, I need some help getting started.

I'm planning on setting up Sun Cluster 3.0 on a couple of Blade 100's running Solaris 8. Also, I have some Linux file servers that will provide space through NFS. I've started reading Oracle's docs on Technet, and Sun's docs from their site, but I wanted to see if someone had already gone through this process and set up a howto somewhere.

Any guidance, links would be greatly appreciated!

Wish you best of luck :-) Are you doing all that for fun or did your boss asked you to?

I'm doing this to learn. I want to see how much of RAC is marketing BS and how operable/functional it really is. I definitely want to do some basic benchmarking in my puny environment just to get a feel for the increased overhead.

Are there any links you can provide? Currently I'm going off Sun's bigadmin page and technet/metalink. I'm not too happy with Oracle's docs on OS cluster setup. I've probably not found the right documentation on their site yet...

Where do you work ? Do you have a DBA job ?

That is almost a dream setup for 'learning' !!
    svk

I do work as a dba...but, I'm doing this at home first. A dry-run if you will.

I own a Blade 100, and have a couple of other friends that have 100's themselves. The Blade is actually a very cheap way to have Solaris 8 at home on a system with a SPARC chip. Not a very fast system, though. Actually, it's dog slow.

I also have some cheap pc's that are running linux and working well as NFS servers.

BTW, I'm still in need of good howto's outside of Technet/Metalink...

Originally posted by adp1414
    I'm doing this to learn. I want to see how much of RAC is marketing BS and how operable/functional it really is
    You can really see how RAC/OPS works only when it is in an enviroment with lots of concurrent users.