DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCTUSED for create index

Using multiple freelist groups in OPS environment is normal (and more or less required), but I'm still convinced that multiple freelists per freelist group on index has no effect at all. Since each instance is mapped to its freelist group there would be no false pinging that you describe, hence no need for additional freelists.

So, as I see it:
    - for indexes in single-instance environment: no need for additional freelist groups and/or freelists
    - for indexes in OPS environment: additional freelist groups needed (the number of instances), no need for aditional freelists - the default one per group is sufficient.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Originally posted by jmodic
    Using multiple freelist groups in OPS environment is normal (and more or less required), but I'm still convinced that multiple freelists per freelist group on index has no effect at all. Since each instance is mapped to its freelist group there would be no false pinging that you describe, hence no need for additional freelists.
    Yes, it will have no effect during insertion, the effect might be felt at select-time.

So, as I see it:
    - for indexes in single-instance environment: no need for additional freelist groups and/or freelists
    - for indexes in OPS environment: additional freelist groups needed (the number of instances), no need for aditional freelists - the default one per group is sufficient.
    ... and you are not that far from the truth :-)