DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux 7.0

Angry

I've installed Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux 7.0 and created an instance but the DBW0 doesn't startup. Check the trace file, it shows "SIGSEGV 11* fatal error".
    What's wrong.
    I also tried to install Oracle 9i on Linux 7.0 in Pentium IV, I got the error "SIGSEGV 11* segmentation violation".
    I think there should be some configuration problem with my Linux 7.0
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Queyon
    Queyon Zeng

A couple of questions:
    Which distribution?
    Which version of the Kernel (I'd think it is 2.4) ?
    Were the shared memory parameters changed and the Kernel re-compiled?

I found that 8.1.7 installs easily on Red Hat 6.2 with the 2.2 kernel. Others have found that SuSe with 2.4 kernel works better.

Angry Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux 7.0

Kernel is 2.2.16
    The shared memory parameters are changed in /etc/sysctl.conf file.
    Do I have to re-compile the kernel?
    Could you tell me how to re-compile the kernel if you don't mind.
    Thanks.

Queyon
    Queyon Zeng

Lightbulb Oracle on Linux

Hi Queyon,

Ok, first things first: on my 'out-of-the-box' SuSE 7.2 Professional edition I could install Oracle9i without having to modify anything about the kernel that comes standard. I'm assuming you have either RedHat or SuSE ?!? (When you say 'Linux 7.0, it doesn't mean much; you were giving useful info when you mentioned which kernel you're running (2.2.16), but it is also important which distribution you're using...) In any case, there is a documented conflict with running Oracle on Pentium 4's, but I haven't looked into it a lot, as I don't own a Pentium 4 machine. Look on Oracle's technet, you may something about it; I believe they have made a patch for it, but don't quote me on it. I have successfully installed 9i on my SuSE 7.2, with a 2.4.16 kernel. I don't think that 'rolling your own' kernel at this point would bring you closer to success. Tell me exactly what system you have, what you did for installation, and what you're typing to try and get Oracle to run, and I may be able to help you further.

Regards,

Volkmar

Oracle 8.1.7 on Linux 7.0

Thank you for your help.
    I'm using RedHat Linux 7.0
    I installed Linux, created "oracle" user with primary group "oinstall" and supplementary group "dba".
    Change the kernel parameters in /etc/sysctl.conf with the values mentioned in installation guide of Oracle 9.0.1. (By the way, only "shmmax" and "shmall" are shown in the sysctl, other kernel parameters didn't seem to show up).
    Install jdk 1.1.8 (v3) with a symbolic link in /etc/local/java
    Eventually, "runInstaller"
    And then I got the error message:
    SIGSEGV 11*, segmentation violation
    Dump ........

Any help will be appreciated.
    Thanks.

Queyon
    Queyon Zeng

Wink Linux

Which Linux do you think is better, RedHat or SuSE?
    Queyon Zeng

We can get this... :)

...to work. Ok, I think what you could try is to point is to point Java to the Oracle-supplied version instead of the one you are pointing at now (in /etc/local/java). If you are using Oracle 9i, then it supplies its own java. Next, do you see any window pop up when you type 'runInstaller', or does it quit right away ?
    I don't think this is a problem with the user/group settings. If pointing it to another Java location doesn't help, I guess we have to try and get you a 2.4-based kernel going. That will be tough going if you've never done it before. I will point you to some decuments that should with that.

So far, so good (?)

Volkmar

Exclamation RedHat/SuSE

Well, if you ask me personally, I have found SuSE to work very nicely for me. Especially for the Oracle stuff, and if you're planning to use it as a production system, it comes with a amazing filesystem (ReiserFS), and my SuSE 7.2 Professional worked with both Oracle 8i and 9i right 'out of the box'.
    I'm not saying that RedHat is not a good distribution, but as far as Oracle goes, SuSE seems to be quite stramlined, and 'install-and-go'. If you can get your hands on a SuSE distro, I would certainly give it a shot and see how you like it.

Volkmar