DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Replication/Redundancy

Hybrid View

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to the world of Oracle. My company would like to increase our disaster recovery level from cold nightly tape backups to implementing database redundancy. Basically, they want to purchase a new server, install Oracle, and have the data from our old database server replicated or exported/imported in the new server every couple of hours. We're running Oracle v 7.3.4 on the database server and will mostly likely be running the same version on the new server. Has anyone encoutering this scenario before. Any advice or scripts you can send would be helpful. Oh and by the way we're running Win NT 4.

Thanks in advance,
    Mike McCarthy, Network Administrator

Hi.

You really should be looking to upgrade to 8i before you start on any architecture changes. Oracle 7.3 is now 3 versions old and Oracle will soon stop supporting it.

Oracle 7.3 does support replication but I would suggest you may be better off using the Standby Database feature of Oracle8i:

http://www.oracle-base.com/Articles/...byDatabase.asp

This is much simpler and more efficient if you are only using the additional server for disaster recovery.

Using this method you can continually apply archived redo logs to the server making sure it is constantly up to date.

Depending on the size and complexity of you DB you could use Export/Import but it's a pain in the ass compared to standby database.

Good luck.

Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Rightly said. EXP/IMP is definitely a pain and for purposes of disaster recovery, a standby database fits in neatly into the scheme of things.

Nizar

Standby Database

Hi,

While I agree with the other comments, you should be aware that due to recent changes in Oracle licensing model the standby server will also have to have the minimum oracle server license purchased for it.

Regards

Jim
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!