DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Love for data(base admin work)

Certification may or may not improve skills and knowledge, but it seems to have marketing value. :-)
    In one way or another certification should always improve at least knowledge, except in the extreme, and I would say impossible case, when you know everything about the area you certify in.

There is another aspect of why your boss (or your company) might be interested in having OCP certified staff. If company wants to become Oracle Certified Partner it is required to have certain number of OCP employees. And looking even strictly from financial aspects - the benefits of being Oracle Certified Partner by far outwage the expences for OCP exams (or even sending staff to ILTs before attending the exams).
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Could you explain how please? The only condition, at least in Finland, is to have more than 30% of the revenue derived from the sales of IT products and/or services on the market. There are 3 levels in the Partner Programe: Programme Member, Certified Solution Partner and Certified Solution Advantage Partner but all 3 costs 12752 FIM for one year. I did check the advantages/benefits in all these groups and I did not find any significant differences between Programe Mamber and Certified Solution Partner.

I think to be Oracle Certified Solution Partner you need at least 4 OCPs in the company or 3 OCPs and 2 DBO OCP

[Edited by pando on 01-23-2002 at 09:31 AM]

Originally posted by julian
    Could you explain how please? The only condition, at least in Finland, is to have more than 30% of the revenue derived from the sales of IT products and/or services on the market.
    Check again or find better sources. There are many additional conditions to become Certified Partner (or higher), one of them is to have at least 2 OCP in your team. Some of the criteria are mandatory and having OCPs is one of them. Anyhow, each critera is evaluated in points and after summing all the points you have to be above some limit to be accepted as Certified Partner. And it can be no different in Finland, as the evaluation and approoval is done centraly in USA - I know from our own experiences. On the other hand, to be a Programme Member there is almost no requirement appart for anual fee.

I did check the advantages/benefits in all these groups and I did not find any significant differences between Programe Mamber and Certified Solution Partner.
    Did you realy? And you don't find unlimited (free!) "Oracle Product Support including 24X7 Phone Support", "MetaLink with iTAR Capabilities", "Upgrade to Product Support including 24X7 Phone Support", "10% Discount on Premium Support Services", various Oracle Consulting and Services offerings, additional E-Bussiness Suite software and services etc... to be "a significant difference"? None of these is available to Programe Members.

I know for my company it pays out multiple times to have OCPs just to be able to be Certified Partner.

[Edited by jmodic on 01-23-2002 at 06:07 PM]
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

I did check the documents I got from Oracle about the Partner Programme and I confirm what I said before. For the Programme Members there is the revenue condition (30%). We get all the stuff you wrote in bold without being a Certified Member :-) I could fax you the papers, they are in English, and see it for yourself.

I would like to add something. We for example, were not approved as a Partner (even as a Programme Member), because according to Oracle, we are a non-IT company having its own IT department. If it were that easy, all would join and get the 60% (or sometimes 30%) discount. What's more, we would get the development tools for free.

[Edited by julian on 01-25-2002 at 02:06 AM]

Wink

How were you introduced into the db world, especially Oracle (college/work/elsewhere) ? Work. I started out my career as a programmer, but was intersted in learning new things. The DBA at the time (who is now my finance) noticed this and started to teach me Oracle (we were using 6 at the time). I've been a DBA for 7 years. I've also been an SA and a manager.

How long after being exposed to Oracle did you become OCP DBA's ? I'm not OCP.

What is the satisfaction level of being a full fledged DBA...(eg. I am satisfied and want to be a DBA for life/ I want to switch careers / Want a managerial position /DBA life is tough/DBA life rocks , etc) I would rather be techincal. I really enjoy being a DBA.