DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Love for data(base admin work)

pando

how do you learn so much in 1.5 years???

You are not lieing us arent you?

d0h I feel offended

Smile

Originally posted by pando
    d0h I feel offended

...What a guy.. btw, you posted about 3000 msges since you joined this forum so on average you posted around 10 mesges/working day. Do you work 18 hrs/day??

d0h I feel offended
    offensive, maybe...
    Jeff Hunter

no... I dont work 18 hours but this Oracle stuff got all my interests these 1.5 years, I spend my work time on the forum and at home as well, even before I go to bed

But I guess this is how I learned? Look other's problems and try to fix them here by reading and testing so I can learn from people's problems

I spend quite a lot of time reading and testing (not that much reading since I get bored really quick when I have to read), everyday including weekends. Unfortunately I dont have much luck in getting jobs, a real dba job in a challenging enviroment. So far I have been in two true dba jobs but the database werent too big. Now that I am in a Telco with hundreds of databases I am not working as a true dba but guess this is how life works, some good times and some bad. My boss wants me to get certified in Oracle 8i & 9i may be I will just do it to satisfy his desires hehe

Look other's problems and try to fix them here by reading and testing so I can learn from people's problems
    I agree. By answering questions in this forum, you become exposed to topics you may not need in your day-to-day duties.
    Jeff Hunter

My boss wants me to get certified in Oracle 8i & 9i may be I will just do it to satisfy his desires hehe
    I find this strange. I think it is usually the DBA's wish, whim, whatever to get certified :-) How come your boss even knows of the programme?

he used to be a senior dba but he doesnt deal with much technical stuffs anymore though

I see, he is above the guru-level :-)

Originally posted by julian
    I find this strange. I think it is usually the DBA's wish, whim, whatever to get certified :-) How come your boss even knows of the programme?
    [/B]
    Certification may or may not improve skills and knowledge, but it seems to have marketing value. :-)
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g