DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: backup-ur opinion

Hi everyone,

I am making a backup plan for a 24/7 database instance. They want to be able to go back upto month, so data has to be archived for a month. I need some advice/suggestions as to what I am thinking is right.
    As there is not enough space on the disk for even one full backup everything has to backed up to the tape.
    Now here is what I planned:
    Full online backups on Sunday.
    Archivelog backups on SUnday(delete from disk).
    Cum Incre. backups level 2 from Monday to Wednesday.
    Cum. Incremental backup level 1 on Thursday.
    Cum. Incre. backup level 2 on Fri and Sat.
    Now from what I understand if I need to recover the database on Sat, I will need Full backup from Sunday, incr backup from Thursday and incr backup from Friday.
    Is my understanding right as it contradicts with what I read somewhere that if i use cum. backups I will need to use only 1 incr backup at any point in time?

I don't generate too many archivelogs and have enough space currently to keep one week in disk, so I am backing it up only on Sunday. My logic was that I will have most of them on disk when I need to apply which will make the recovery faster, is that right??

Please advise what do you think of this.

Thanx a lot in advance.
    KN

some opinion pleeeease.......
    KN

What should be the archivelog backup plan to recover fully?

KN

IMHO, if it is a true 24x7x365 database, your should do a full online backup every night. This will limit your MTTR should a failure occur.
    Jeff Hunter

My manager here is suggesting to have archivelog backups every 2 hours, so if something happens to the archive filesystem we are able to recover, do you think that's needed
    KN

In a 24x7 database, archived redo logs should be on mirrored disks. They are way to important during a recovery to risk being lost.

Backing them up every 2 hours? Sounds like overkill to me, but I don't know your situation. I backup my archived redo logs twice a day, 12 hours apart.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanx a ton.

KN