DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OEM and DEV do not pick up TNS_ADMIN

I am setting TNS_ADMIN as NT system variable that will be loaded upon person loging to NT (part of login script). The command used is:
    regedit /s i:\install\TNSNAMES\tns_winNT.reg

Once login is finished, TNS_ADMIN is visible in
    ControlPanel->System->Environment->SystemVariables
    , but not all Oracle tools will use it. SQL*Plus is happy and I can connect, but OEM or Developer will not recognise it and connections will fail with TNS error ‘…could not resolve the service’.

One workaround is to log-off and then log in again, which is not the perfect solution.

The other workaround is to go to
    ControlPanel->System->Environment
    click on any variable and then on Set -> Apply.
    This last click on the 'Apply' button obviously forces NT to refresh environment and TNS_ADMIN becomes visible to OEM. Obviously this solution is not very good for end-users, but it contains a part that could make it a perfect.

So the perfect solution would be NT command that forces refresh of environment once TNS_ADMIN is set, and it would execute in the login script straight after TNS_ADMIN load.
    Does anyone know how to do this ???

Lightbulb

In the mean time I digged around for solutions and so far the only one that does not require re-boot or anything fancy is to use SETX utility from NTRESKIT. SETX will force NT to automatically refresh environment.
    So in login script instead of having
    regedit /s tnsnames.reg
    you simply put:

setx TNS_ADMIN I:\ORACLE\NETWORK\ADMIN -m

and TNS_ADMIN will become available to all apps, including OEM or Developer etc.

Forgot to mention, I would still prefer standard NT solution instead of using NTRESKIT, so I'll leave thread open for a while.