DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN

Question

I'm just curious to know how popular is RMAN out there? All feedbacks are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi,
    In todays world of huge database RMAN plays a very important role in backup and recovery as it reduces the overhead of backups and recovery.The benefit of RMAN comes into the picture when you backup your production database through RMAN and RMAN keeps all the backup information in a catalog which is in another database.So in case your production database crashes still also you can restore your production database as all the backup information is in RMAN's recovery catalog.
    Also through RMAN you can take full ,incremental ,cumulative backups.Also you can restore your database in point in time recovery,complete recovery.
    RMAN easies the overhead of remembering the backups taken as by just typing the commands you can recover your database as all the recovery is done by RMAN.
    In case of any help please be free to ask me at rohitsn@altavista.com

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle DBA,OCP 8i
    rohitsn@altavista.com

With 8i and especially with 9i, I dare claim that this should be the proper and right way to backup and recover.

Originally posted by julian
    With 8i and especially with 9i, I dare claim that this should be the proper and right way to backup and recover.

Try telling that to my current company. Multiple instances, multiple platforms, multiple versions, multiple backup products and multiple nightmares!

I don't think a day goes by without a backup problem of one sort or another. I would love to use RMAN and a net-backup solution. It would simplify my life greatly. I would struggle to remember the number of DAT, DLT and tape robots we use for doing crappy backups. My contract ends in April so it won't be my problem then

I agree about 9i. I don't see that it's sensible to do it any other way. There is so much new and cool stuff in it.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

I agree about 9i. I don't see that it's sensible to do it any other way. There is so much new and cool stuff in it.
    Cheers
    Absolutely! I think that after RAC, the most significant improvement in Oracle 9i is the CONFIGURE command.