DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how to recover this db?

Angry

We have an Oracle 8.1.7 server installed on a Win2K box in a dev environment with data in it. However, somebody did something on it which cause all Oracle services disappeared and thus the oracle server in unusable condition. Luckily, all the data files, log files, control files are intact.

How can I recover this database? Actually, all I need is the data inside that database. Can I use those files to create a new instance on my other Oracle server instead of recovering it from the original machine?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Was the database in an archive mode when it went down?

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

Not sure. That is not mission critical data, so loss a small amount of data is acceptable -- it's only for dev purpose.

Do you have any recommendation to bring it back?

Thanks!

Hi,

If all of your files are OK, the only thing you need is to recreate your service with oradim utility.

But are your sure is the only thing that have disspeared?

Hope that helps

Angel

Arrow

If you are sure that the database files are intact, simply reinstall Oracle, create new service using Oradim, create new listener, and open your database using svrmgrl.

If there is an error indicating More Media Recovery Needed, try this:
    svrmgrl> startup nomount;
    svrmgrl>recover database;
    svrmgrl>alter database open resetlogs;

Remember that you must maintain the original file structure.
    If you have archived logs you can always recover, if not, well you should had...

Hope this helps
    Best Regards,

Helder

Where reinstalling Oracle, will the old files being overwritten? Just worry about if the existing data, control and log files will be wiped out during the reinstalling process.

Also, can I 'attach' the intacted data, control and log files to my healthy Oracle instance? I will prefer this way if that's practical.

thanks!

Re-installing Oracle does not erases your datafiles. However you should backup them before.
    If you have only one disk with all the data it should be something like this:

c:\oracle
    c:\oracle\ora81 --> This is the RDBMS directory, this will be replaced in installation...

c:\oracle\admin --> This is where your init, udump, bdump, etc, shoud be. This will NOT be erased.
    c:\oracle\oradata --> The DataFiles. This will Not Be Erased.

But if i understood you correctly you have another server with an healthy Oracle RDBMS.

If that is the case then replicate the file structure that you have on the original server, and follow the steps on the previous post. Create service using Oradim...and so on...

Hope this helps
    Best Regards,

Helder

Thanks Helder, you are definitely very helpful!

Just to clarify --
    1. Since my other Oracle server(9i) already has all the file structures set up, how do I replicate the file structure on the original server as you suggested in the previous post? Or you really mean just copy the data files, control files and init.ora file to the correct places in the new server?

2. Will this work if the original server is 8i while the new server is 9i?

3. Which doc can I look to find more info on Oradim?

Thanks again...

Hi Elaine,

1. To use oradim:

oradim -new -sid XXXX -intpwd sys_password -startmode auto -pfile initSID.ora_path

2. If there are different versions of Oracle, the copy of files donĀ“t work for you :-(

3. You shall use export/import to do that

Hope that helps