DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: StandBy Server

Question

Hi, guys
    I have a question accroding to stand by server:
    Scenario: HD on prod database is broken. Mirrored online redo logs and control file left on StandBy Machine.
    Can I activate standby database and aply online redo logs from prod database?
    I suppose yes. If yes what shall I do? I just could not find it in the docs.
    Thanks.
    Best wishes!
    Dmitri

If you activate standby database it will reset log sequence backup to 1 and you will not be able appy any logs from primary database. In this case data loss is unavoidable, changes that have not been archvied will be lost.
    However, since primary control file and all online redo logs are available you could try to copy primary control file and online redo logs to standby location and recover database. Do NOT ACTIVATE STANDBY DATABASE!

1.Shutdown standby database
    2. Copy controlfile and redo logs
    3. startup mount
    4 recover database

It may or moy not see a difference between your primary and standby database (it also depends on your version). Whole mechanism descrived in Oracle paper names "Gracefull switchover between primary and standby databases"

Backup everything on standby server first! Controlfile,datafiles, etc.

Boris.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!