DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: SQL Server DDL to Oracle DDL

Question

Hi

We have a Database on SQL Server and Mirror version of it on Oracle on a Web-server. When I make structural changes to the SQL Server DB via a Script of DDL, I would like to be able to take this script and convert it to Oracle DDL to apply to the Oracle DB.

We can do this manually of course but it would be preferable to be able to run the script through some automated tool to convert it to remove the Human Error aspect. It would also be less time consuming.

Does anybody know if such a Utopian Tool exists?

TIA

Simon Horne

I ** SERIOUSLY ** doubt it : Oracle != SQL Server. An Oracle DDL must inform tablespace info, freelists info, initrans/maxtrans, have different datatypes, different constraints, and so on ...

Regards,

Chiappa

Smile

>>have different datatypes, different constraints, <<

I know It's a bit of a shot in the dark really

Simon

Cool

I do something like that. I use Erwin 4.0 and I have a schema using Sql Server 2000. I maintain that schema and when I want to make changes, I make the changes to the Sql Server 2000 schama and then I just derive a new model pointing to Oracle 8i. It will take some work but if you need to support both Sql Server and Oracle with the same schema it is well worth it. You should keep your schema as Sql Server and then derive the Oracle version, I tried it the other way and it didn't work very well.