DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need Help Please

Unhappy

Hi there ya'll

This is a long POST, but please read it, cause you can make the difference.

I need help urgently.
    I am in this predicament where i have studied for a OAD-(oracle Application Developer). My boss is aware of this, but wants me to do DBA work and not OAD.

O.k. NExt.

1st Problem

I have downloaded and installed Oracle 9i database.
    The installation was straight forward and easy, but it froze @ this one stage. I deinstalled oracle and ten reinstalled it. Now i get these ocl.dll file that is missing. Init.ora is missing as well. So, does anyone have any idea what i should do?

2nd Problem

I can work in Oracle Enterprise. I want to know the following:
    I created a user with DBA rights. I can connect to the database i created with this user, but can't connect to SQL+.
    It gives me the following error.

ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve service name.

???????? Any ideas??????

Problem 3

I have to import a database from some telemanagement program. Import DHCP and email addresses in our company, and write a script that will run using all three these information which will tell my boss who dialled to this number who visited that site who received exe programs in there emails.

Does anyone have any DBA tutorials for Oracle 9i.

I should have done the DBA track instead of the OAD track, but it is to late now.

This is a matter of life and death. I have 30 days to teach myself all about oracle databases, or else i am fired!

Any help is welcome!

Thanx a Mill in Advance!!!!
    I appreciate your help!

Charlton

I am not quite sure how to address problem no 1. But it seems that it is a new database you are playing with. Why not just remove all oracle information (directory,registry entry, etc.) from the server then do a fresh installation of the database.

In your 2nd question most probably your listener.ora, tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora is not setup properly.

In #3 ,Are you going to export a database then import it back to a different database?

If you have all the information in your database then just write a query that will give that information.

You can get information, including documentation on http://www.technet.oracle.com, just register and you can get the documentation that you need.

Another thing, you can also try and register to metalink so you can get support from oracle.

Hope I was able to answer some of your questions.

Ed

Thanx Ed

I was thinking of the same thing, but this oradim.exe that everybody says i have to use. I will try it out now. Thanx Again you don't know how much you helped me!

Welcome to the wonderful world of DBA's.

First thing I would do is get a good book on Oracle. I like a book called Oracle8i for Windows NT Starter Kit by Steve Bobrowski (Osborne). He also has one called Oracle8i for Linux. Its a good book to get you started. It is a little weak in the area of Net8 (which is what Oracle uses for communications). Second, I would keep posting questions to this site. The people here are great and usually answer your questions rather quickly.

I'm not familiar with Oracle 9i, but this might help.

Q1. What type of machine are you installing Oracle 9i? Without getting into to much detail, I would try to reinstall Oracle again. Let the Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) uninstall Oracle and then reinstall it. See if that helps.

Q2. This could be a result of Oracle not installing properly. TNSnames is the file Oracle uses to help it communicate the the database. It's located in Oracle/Ora9i/network/admin.

Q3. I'm not sure what your asking. What type of database are you trying to import? What type of file is it?

Charlton, I would suggest you first read a bit about 9i before trying to run it.

Hi there ocp2b and Julian
    thanx for the replies.

Ocp2b--> 1. I am installing it on win2k family server.

2. I did uninstall it, using the niversal installer, but it doesn't remove everything. I read somewhere that you have to use oradim.exe to delete the services and SiD, well i tried it, but, it doesn't seem to work on my PC or maybe i am just an idiot.

3. You don't have any tuts you can mail me?

I am determined to get it to work and learn all about it in this 30days, cause i am not a Loser!

You are right, all of the people in this forum are so kind!

Thanx!

P.S : I seemed to have gotten it right to unistall everything associated with oracle9i databases. Now to install it perfect!

[Edited by charlton on 01-03-2002 at 12:05 PM]

HI Charlton,
    Let me give you a suggestion for the problem # 1.
    Deleting the service using oradim will not clear the service details.
    Open Regedit and delete it manually.

If the problem still persist when installing, uninatall the Universal Installer and re-install it. I faced the same problem while installing 8i. I did the same. Luckily it worked for me. All this "missing dll " can all be conquered very easily

Q2:
    After includfing it in the TNSNAMES.ORA,
    run "tnsping servicename". from your command prompt.

C:\>tnsping servicename
    TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 8.1.5.0.0 - Production on 03-JAN-02
    12:15:13

(c) Copyright 1997 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=servername)(PORT=1521))
    OK (270 msec)

I think for documentation, you can download it from the Oracle website.

Hope this helps.
    All the best.

GD_1976.

Okay Guys this is what i did

1. Ran Universal installer - and deinstalled everything.
    2. Deleted the Oracle Folder
    3. Regedit. HKLM->System->CurrentControlSet->services -> and deleted Oracle services!
    After this Everything associated with Oracle is deleted.
    And now i am running a fresh installation and it is running smooth!

Thanx for the help once again.

Oh yes one more thing if i create a new user and give him rights can or can't i logon with the user in SQL+?
    If i can how?

Charlton,
    Good that everything is going smooth.
    Create the user.
    Grant connect,resource role to the new user.
    Now, you are free to connect using any client apllication like SQL/PLUS etc.

Thanks,

GD_1976.

Wink

I just wanted to say thanx again for all the help. Setup is busy with the Database configuration, which means everything is running smooth!

Thanx!!!!!!!