DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: job outlook for a newbie

Red face

According to Stats Can -Oracle DBA's are not currently in demand in Canada. I would suggest another program. Oracle Corporation has just layed off 850 workers. I hope this doesn't mean that Oracle is going to be selling out its program to Microsoft.

I know some of the people laid off. Alot of them were consultant. The majority of them were "Functional" or "Business Analysis". Now would you go to Oracle for a techie or a "Functional" or "Business Analysis".

E. Yen
    OCP DBA 8, 8i, 9i

Great

I originally was asking the question not to start an arguement, but to get some input on what direction I should take to enter the industry from the people that are in it.
    I don't know it the way to go is to go for the 4yr degree in IT and then move towards the certifications, get a certificate from the college in database technologies and also go for the certification, or simply get the DBA and hit the market. I basically want to get the most bang for my buck and time investment, yet I don't want to undercut my chances of a future. I think that the career path of a DBA is a strong and secure one...(as secure as one can get in these days!) Could I just get specific direction on what the best of you would do if you were in my shoes, looking into the database industry from the outside? Do you see another arena that is strong and shows potential?

Regards,

[Edited by jwtyson on 01-03-2002 at 08:40 PM]

Cool

System Administrators do well. I personally have seen, DBAs with strong System Administrators skill get as much as $150K. These type of DBA/SA are doing more of the high level decision making things that guide the company to the “next level".

A combination of DBA and SA skills is always valuable. Being able to logically correct code be it PL/SQL or SQLJ is also a big plus.

Look at it this way DBA and SA are practically infrastructure.

E. Yen
    OCP DBA 8, 8i, 9i

Functional and Business Analysts are so bored

Have you considered a Cisco certification? If your background is hardware and Com, maybe it would be more marketable and a better fit.

Good luck.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Everyone seems so worried about the IT industry at the moment. I've spent the last few years being told the bottom has dropped out of the market yet I've always found work easily. My friends have also found freelance and permanent jobs pretty easily too. I don't want to sound cocky but if you know your stuff you will find work.

If getting your foot in the door is your main concern I would look more to development rather than DBA work. There are far more developer and the level of skills required is more varied. Once in a job you can move more towards DBA work. Most companies are more than keen since they see it as a cheap way to get a DBA.

Good luck

Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

ocpwannabe,

Why do you need another job?
    Isn't 75K enough for you :-)

Here is the link you said 75K

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/showthread.php
    threadid=18237

Good Luck!

If you go can afford it go for the 4 year program.

I am an IT manager and I would not hire anyone that just had a MSCE or OCP certification without some formal education to back it up along with some general IT experience.

In general the more formual education you have the higher your pay scale.

Gee,
    OCP 8i DBA,
    MCSE

Originally posted by sysdba
    ocpwannabe,

Why do you need another job?
    Isn't 75K enough for you :-)

Here is the link you said 75K

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/showthread.php
    threadid=18237

Good Luck!
    75? pleez! am i on welfare or something? try 95k. http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=18384
    OCP DBA 8i
    ocpwannabe@yahoo.com
    -----------------------------
    When in doubt, pick 'C'.