DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: job outlook for a newbie

I am excited to start my path to dba, however I am also nervous about starting a new career. I have been a finance director for the last 8 years and before that I was in Satellite Communication for the Army. I don't remember much of the SatCom, but am fairly good with computers and hardware. My concern isn't really passing the exams (especially with all the support in this forum alone), my concern is with getting a job in the industry with no real hands on experience. One can only learn so much from setting it up at home. What is the real outlook for a newbie? How practical is finding a junior position and will I even be considered for that? Any hope or things to pick up that might help?

I have also heard that if you learn the application admin side of it that it makes the dba certification easier as well as makes one more marketable. Is there any truth to this beyond the obvious? Would it be worth the time to take this first.

That's a tough call. Two years ago, I would have said go for it. Today, it's a different story. I know of several experienced DBAs out of work for over 3 months. The IT market is really tight. IMHO, there are little if any entry-level type positions.
    Jeff Hunter

I know of several experienced DBAs out of work for over 3 months. The IT market is really tight.
    That is one reason why a DBA should understand a bit of development too.

Specifically, what kind of development would you recommend?

Originally posted by sysdba
    Specifically, what kind of development would you recommend?
    For an Oracle DBA: PL/SQL, Forms, Reports, Java, C.

Question

{{{Today, it's a different story. I know of several experienced DBAs out of work for over 3 months. The IT market is really tight. }}}

You guys are right. I am rapidly losing interest in doing this certification at all now. I mean the economy is coming back, and hiring in IT should be very strong this year, but will people with just certifications, and little experience be able to find a related position?

IMHO, not in the short term. I would guess the experienced people would get snapped up first at lower salaries. Once that pool has dried up, you might see more entry level hiring going on.
    Jeff Hunter

theirs jobs out there. it only took me 4 weeks to find job and all i had was ocp dba + 6 mos. ms-access.
    OCP DBA 8i
    ocpwannabe@yahoo.com
    -----------------------------
    When in doubt, pick 'C'.

Faker

{{{theirs jobs out there. it only took me 4 weeks to find job and all i had was ocp dba + 6 mos. ms-access.}}

BULL!!! In todays market? I certainly don't think so. You have never ever said which company, or even which industry you are working in. Also, with your writing and presentation skills, I doubt you would last more than five minutes in any serious technical interview. If by some fluke, you did find a job, then a close family member who has alot of alot of influence pulled strings with senior management, or you did some serious lying on your resume.