DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: unique index

when i issue a update statement, it give me ORA-00001: unique constraint (owner.U1) violated.

i want to avoid this constraint

you have duplicate keys, you cannot avoid unless you get rid of that unique constraint/index but then you are compromising your data integrity when you do so

You can temporarily disable constraint checking if you define your constraint as deferrable. Jeff has allready pointed you the corresponding manuals in your previous post regarding this same problem.

But your unique constraint is probably built on top of unique index, so deferring constraint checking would be useless because it would fail immediately on unique index maintainance. So you'll have to recreate your unique constraint so that it will be implemented on top of non-unique index. Check the manuals on how to do that.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

but whatever you do if you end up with duplicate keys no matter what you do with your constraints/unique index you will still fail!

Well, one of the points with deferred constraints is that you can avoid situations where inside your transaction you are temporarily violating UK, but at the end of transaction there is no violation, ie all your data in unique column is again unique.

Before the introduction of defered constraints it was sometimes very messy to perform many "atomic" updates on unique columns, although at the end of the transaction the constraint would not be violated.

[Edited by jmodic on 01-02-2002 at 01:02 PM]
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

yea I know deferred constraints disables temporary the constraints, what I mean is if you end up with duplicate keys then even you use deferred constraints you will get the error