DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cannot connect to oracle on Linux from a windows client

hi all

I have installed oracle8i on Linux 6.2 Red Hat and configured the Listener and Sqlnet.ora file and created a service in tnsnames.ora file.

Now I have a Windows NT machine where Oracle server is already installed and I have created a service in it's tnsnames file to connect to the database on Linux machine. Now If I try to connect to Linux macine from NT machine it gives me the error ORA-1034 Oracle not available.

I have some other databases on WIN2K machines where it is getting connected thru NT but it is not just getting connected to Linux machine. Oracle Started and Listener is also working on Linux macine..
    what can be the problem?

Amol

Can you connect from the server to the database using sqlplus @?

Yes

I can connect to the database from the Linux server .. It is not becoming possible from NT machine where I have configured it's local tnsnames.ora file

Amol

check the listener

just check whether the listener is up and runing and you have started the database
    anandkl

Hi

Now it's giving strange problems. Sometimes it gets connected to Server from Oracle Client and sometimes not. When it is connected from client it is not aloowing to connect frm server. It continuously gives error ORA-1102 'cannot mount database in EXCLUSIVE mode'. This occurs when I try to start using ./dbstart. The database is not even mounted.

I searched if any process is running which is accessing oracle ...I found that pmon and smon are running even after I shut down database. if I start from server and then issue connect command from Client then it gives me 'Ora-1033 shutdown or initialisation in progress'
    What can be the problem here. Is there any more config in Linux required. The Listener is working fine on Linux server

Amol