DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: confused!!

hi guys, i'm thinking of pursuing OCP DBA certification, but the problem is that i'm worried about the expiry of Oracle 8i OCP certificate.
    now i didn't take any exam yet, should i wait tell i'm used to Oracle 9i, or should i go for the 8i cert. now??

Your Oracle8i Certification will never expire...you will always be an Oracle8i Certified DBA. Oracle only retires exams...making them no long available. It is anticipated that Oracle will not retire the Oracle8i exams for at least another year!

If your employer or clients are still using Oracle8i predominately...get Oracle8i certified, then take the upgrade exam to 9i once you've gotten more exposure to it. This way you'll be twice as valuable!!
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

--"Live" Instructor-led Online Training for Oracle9i, Java and XML--

think in view of money and papers

i think in different way

9i is having all the things those r in 8i and much more u may be knowing such as clustering , etc.

9i is having 4 papers and 8i 5 papers. so money less
    if u give 8i u have to give 9i one paper i.e. total 6 papers.

so in 4 papers u r a ocp dba if u choose 9i

now its upto u

oracle_certified_dba@hotmail.com

If you are at the begining...

I have already been using/studying 8i for over a year, so I am going for the 8i OCP. Also, we have some customers that are still on 7.3.4 and many that are still on 8. I have not heard one mention of anybody going to 9i.

If I was just starting with my studies I would probably go with the 9i track.

As it is, I will probably end up doing the 9i upgrade exam also.

cheers

There are so many people still using 7.3. The chances are the 8i certification will be useful for a few years yet. Personally, I would do the 8i exam then upgrade, but that's only my opinion.

I think it's important not to think of the OCP exam as the end of your learning. If you do the 9i exams and never touch 9i for another year what was the point? You'll have forgotten alot of what you learnt. To pass the 8i exams and consolidate that knowledge is far more important.

Looking at it from a job perspective, whichever track you take get the OCP logo on your resume.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

The way I look at it is...if you are still supporting 8i and earlier databases, and the 9i databases are months or more away in your company...then the Oralce8i certification makes much more sense.

Also, if you are starting from scratch with 9i...there are quite a few new things that Oracle has done with 9i that was treated differently in 8i. If you don't have this background...you won't be as useful to an emploeyer who is runnig mostly 8i. For example, the treatment of the init.ora file, Oracle Managed Files, etc. Things like this are handled differently now in 9i. You'll need to know how to handle them in 8i, right? There are many more examples...but I just woke up 15 minutes ago and can't quite think of them!
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

hmmm, now i'm more confused

well thank you guys for all the help, but i think that the problem for me is when the 8i certification is gonna expire?, well i guess i tend to go for the 8i certification now, as most of our customers are using oracle 8i, and no one said anything about migrating to 9i, but still the problem exists, does any one know exactly when the 8i exam is gonna expire ??, thanks again for your help.

Oracle has not released the date for Oracle8i DBA exam retirement. The Oracle8 DBA exams are set to retire March 31st, 2002. So, if this is any indication...I would say that you have better than a full year before the Oracle8i exams are retired. Remember...Oracle will make the announcement at least 6 months prior to the retirement date!!
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

Originally posted by ehaskins
    The way I look at it is...if you are still supporting 8i and earlier databases, and the 9i databases are months or more away in your company...then the Oralce8i certification makes much more sense.
    I agree with the above. But you could change work, get a better job, and they might run on 9i.

there are quite a few new things that Oracle has done with 9i that was treated differently in 8i.
    Quite a few things... Mildly put!