DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Developer Track??

Talking

Yep, looks like my hunch may be correct. The Intro to PL/SQL test will be replaced by the Intro to Oracle 9i SQL test.

According to the new book by Oracle Press at http://www.oraclepress.com the test will be valid for both DBA and Developer Certs. The Oracle site doesn't reflect that yet, though.

See quote:

"Pass the only exam required for both OCP DBA and Application Developer certifications. "
    The Centre will Hold!!
    MCDBA
    Working towards OCA 9i

Originally posted by dknight
    I will try to do exams 3 and 4 in the first quarter of 2002 if other things don't get in the way.
    I wish you the best of luck! I use ILTs, Couchman and Allen for the Forms exams, how about you? Have you already passed PL/SQL?

Originally posted by thecentre
    Yep, looks like my hunch may be correct. The Intro to PL/SQL test will be replaced by the Intro to Oracle 9i SQL test.

According to the new book by Oracle Press at http://www.oraclepress.com the test will be valid for both DBA and Developer Certs. The Oracle site doesn't reflect that yet, though.

See quote:

"Pass the only exam required for both OCP DBA and Application Developer certifications. "
    I recenty ask Prometric if 1Z0-001 counts for OCP Developer. The answer was "YES". Now, there might come soon a 9i Developer track which will require the new 9i SQL exam. However, for the 6i Developer track 001 is enough.

Arrow 9i

What about the "1Z0-007 Introduction to Oracle9i: SQL" test? Did Prometric say if it would count toward the Developer Cert?

I know the 001 test will count toward both? Just want to be sure before I test.

Thanks...
    The Centre will Hold!!
    MCDBA
    Working towards OCA 9i

I passed PL/SQL programming units in August, 2000 and then got drafted full time into the DBA realm.

I used Forms in versions 3 and 4.5, but never came close to mastering Developer. My strategy is to build a sample application with as many features as possible and use the Allen book for some structure.

Good luck.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

One more comment. I found the PL/SQL programming units exam to be very difficult. The theoretical aspects of the test were helpful as a DBA.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

One more comment. I found the PL/SQL programming units exam to be very difficult. The theoretical aspects of the test were helpful as a DBA.
    What do you mean by difficult? I plan to take this exam at the end of January, since I am studying full time during winter break from school. What should I concentrate on?

Thanks

It was 16 months ago, so my comments may be irrelevant.

There were questions about triggers, packages, and mutating tables that were very challenging. If you use Couchman's Developer preparation book, you will be well prepared.

Good luck.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Originally posted by NickL
    What do you mean by difficult? I plan to take this exam at the end of January, since I am studying full time during winter break from school. What should I concentrate on?

Thanks

It is not an easy exam. I have written tens of thousands of PL/SQL code lines and there were some questions whose answers I had to guess. The exams concentrates (sort of) on the special features of PL/SQL, it does not really test your ability to write PL/SQL code. As dknight said, you will pass it with Couchman's help :-)

Check Couchman's new guide for PL/SQL exam. The old Application guide talks alot about Procedure builder and I had no question on Procedure builder.

Also check the packages throughly in the student guide for 2nd exam. I had couple of questions on Dynamic SQL and DDL package.

Cleared the exam in Oct. 2001.

--OCP IP.
    -- Anurag.
    OCP Application Developer
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Be not afraid of growing slowly. Be afraid only of standing still."