DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to connect to Oacle server from client outside the firewall using ODBC?

Re: Thanks all, but the thing is ...

Originally posted by elaine3839
    1. If the Oracle server is on Windows Box (which is a multithread server), then you can always make it work by set USE_SHARED_SOCKET = TRUE in registry.
    Yes, but then you must also make your clients avare of the consequences of this setting (ie they can't stop the listener without shutting down the database)

1.1 If their Oracle server is running in MTS mode, then they can simply "fix" the port number through which connection will be established by setting

mts_dispatchers="(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=hostname)(port=1521))(dispatchers=1)"

In this case, you don't have to set USE_SHARED_SOCKETS = TRUE. (is this statement correct?)
    Yes (AFAIK).

2. If the Oracle server is not on a multithreaded OS, then there is no additional requirement besides keep port 1521 open on firewall and configure firewall to only accept predefined IP addresses for the clients.
    Not quite. On Unix you have the same problems as with Win OS if your database is set up in MTS mode! Also in this configuration you must fix the dispatcher's port in your init.ora to "fix" the port.

On metalink you have some documents that deals exclusivelly with the Firewal - Oracle issues. I suggest you study them carefully. Here is the URL: http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...1&blackframe=0
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thanks you, thank you, thank you...

I will read the docs you send me for sure --- I feel I learn something new from this forum everyday and thanks for all your (and other people) contribution to this forum.

Maybe this question will be answered in the doc, but can I check with you that if the Oracle server is running in dedicated mode, do we still need to 'fix' the port for it? Or it will always use port 1521 even after initial handshaking?

Thanks again...

Re: Thanks you, thank you, thank you...

Originally posted by elaine3839
    Maybe this question will be answered in the doc, but can I check with you that if the Oracle server is running in dedicated mode, do we still need to 'fix' the port for it? Or it will always use port 1521 even after initial handshaking?
    On Unix, AFAIK the conversation will remain on the same port (e.g. 1521) if database is not in the MTS mode. On NT on the other hand, regardless if the database is in MTS or dedicated mode, only the initial request will go through that port, after that the database will choose another port through which the actual database session conversation will take place.

If your database is not in MTS mode, then talking about "fixing" the port is irrelevant, as setting that permanent port in the init.ora implies MTS mode! If you wan't to fix the port you must set MTS_DISPATCHERS parameter in the init.ora, and as soon as you have that parameter set you are in MTS mode .
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thumbs up

Tim and Jurij,

Thanks both for your good explanation and solution. I have had this problem and spent the best part of two days trying to figure it out.

I'ts now fixed.

-- Tony