DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 8.1.7.0.1 on RedHat Linux 7.3

Hi all,

I have successfully installed Oracle 8.1.7.0.1 on RedHat Linux 7.1 about 4 times now, and it works just fine. However, I upgraded to RH 7.3 and I get so far with the Oracle install - when I apply the setup_stubs.sh patch, my svrmgrl binary in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory dissapears even though the output messages are OK - I am then left only with svrmgrl0...this applies to other files as well, wrap0, sqlplus0 etc.

I have loaded the 4 libraries to make Oracle compatible with RH 6.2, but this is the first time the patch has failed to produce an updated svrmgrl binary (works fine on RH 7.1). I have edited by .bash_profile just like every other time, so I do not know what is wrong :((

Does anyone have any ideas on this one? It is very weird.

Thanks

-keith

it's a problem with the glibc library. You may also want to check the version of gcc installed on your system as the oracle install is looking for gcc 2.95 and you may have 2.96 installed. (I had something like this on Suse 8.0).

This link describes the install and possible problems you may encounter:

http://cluster3.biosci.utexas.edu/st...ry-Oracle.html

I don't think any version of Oracle is certified for RedHat 7.3. This means you won't get support from Oracle. I would advise against this configuration if you want a supported production server.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Hi,

I sorted this out - it was indeed a problem with the gcc libraries, but Oracle Installer did not tell me anything was wrong.

I only noticed the problem when I attempted to manually 'relink all' from the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory.

Thanks for the answers - everything is working just fine now.

-keith