DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Analyze period ?

Hi all.
    Q1 : What is minimum period for analyze tables&indexes in one OLTP database for CBO(cost based optimization) ?
    (2 times in week ? one time in week?each 2 week?)
    Q2 : Why DBMA_UTILITY.ANALYZE_SCHEMA doesn't analyzed all tables&indexes in one schema? 25 table of all 856 not analyzed after execute this procedure.

Best Regards.

Q1 : What is minimum period for analyze tables&indexes in one OLTP database for CBO(cost based optimization) ?
    About once in a month

Q2 : Why DBMA_UTILITY.ANALYZE_SCHEMA doesn't analyzed all tables&indexes in one schema? 25 table of all 856 not analyzed after execute this procedure.
    You should ask Oracle about that. I have also noticed that DBMS_UTILITY it does not work properly. I use my own scripts for analyzing DBs.

Hi julian.
    Thank you .

It really depends on the volatility of your data. Initially you will need to analyze very frequently but as time goes on it's not so important. By that I mean, adding 10000 records to an empty table has a bigger impact than adding 10000 records to a 10 Million row table.

This is what Oracle say:

"Objects are considered stale when 10% of the total rows have been changed."

You may wish to analyze table at different rates:

Static Tables: Monthly
    Volatile Tables: Daily
    Others: Weekly

As for your other problem, have you tried:

EXEC DBMS_STATS.GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS('MYSCHEMA', cascade => TRUE);

You can also use DBMS_STATS to transfer stats from your production environment to your development environment. That way you will have similar execution plans irrespective of the actual data.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog