DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pipes in 8i

8.1.7: when you create a private pipe with size say 32K, everything is OK. But when you try to create it public, Oracle does not always create the public pipe. We reduce the size to 24K, everything is OK again. There was no such problem in Oracle 8. Nothing is the documentation. Who could enlighten me on this? What are the new limits for public pipe sizes?

what are pipes plzz.. ?

hi julian,
    sorry i'm not answering your reply as i dont have any idea about pipes. but can i ask you what are pipes and what are they used for? sorry for troubling you!
    Thank you in advance!
    Venu!
    Venu G. (OCP 8i & 9i)

Originally posted by julian
    8.1.7: when you create a private pipe with size say 32K, everything is OK. But when you try to create it public, Oracle does not always create the public pipe. We reduce the size to 24K, everything is OK again. There was no such problem in Oracle 8. Nothing is the documentation. Who could enlighten me on this? What are the new limits for public pipe sizes?
    How are you determining that 32K public pipe does not get created? Are you getting any error messages at creation time? Or when using the pipe?

I just did some tests on 8.1.7 and have had no problems either with private or public db pipes of that size. In fact, I was able to create and use even quite larger public pipes. I'm not avare of any upper limit for the pipe size - the only limiting factor could be availabe space in the shared pool.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Re: what are pipes plzz.. ?

In Oracle, sessions can communicate between each other with the help of pipes. Imagine them as memory areas in the SGA which contain some session information.

How are you determining that 32K public pipe does not get created? Are you getting any error messages at creation time? Or when using the pipe?
    The pipe creation comes through Clarion code accessing Oracle. It is programmed so that each user gets a pipe upon connecting to Oracle. I do not see a row in V$DB_PIPES when the pipe is public (for private ones all is OK) and size is 32K, that is why we created them as 24K sized. Then I get the user's row in V$DB_PIPES. Well, 24K is enough even for the stock brokers, so we are content with that Oracle behavior. But we could create the 32K pipes in Oracle 8. We cought the error (as brokers complained that their computers just hang) from the pipe view. Problem is solved but I was wondering of the Oracle's behavior.