DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Apps Dba

Hi Friends,

I am working as Oracle dba. Now i want to switch into APPS DBA. Can u guide me how to get into that. I mean the best way to start with some good documentation like that.

Thanks
    Ravi
    ravi

Originally posted by cravi
    Hi Friends,

I am working as Oracle dba. Now i want to switch into APPS DBA. Can u guide me how to get into that. I mean the best way to start with some good documentation like that.

Thanks
    Ravi
    Hi Ravi,

There is no big deal in Application DBA. Basic responsibilities of Apps DBA are...

1. Application installation/upgrade
    2. Patches Application. They are Application patches, Database patches, upgrade patches, interoperability patches etc.
    4. Web Server Administration.
    5. Concurrent Manager Administration/tuning.
    6. System Administration of Application. This book you will get during training. This includes creating a new Apps user, responsibility, defination of menus, forms, reports etc.
    7. One book on Application DBA available is 'Oracle Applications Performance Tuning Handbook' from Oracle Press.
    8. There is also a book on 'Oracle Web application server handbook'

9. Other stuffs are similar to Oracle DBA's job.

Hope, this would help.

Sam
    Sam

I, too, am interested in switching from a "regular" DBA position to an Apps DBA. The problem is that my current company only runs Enterprise Edition -- no Apps. When I apply for jobs as a "Financials DBA", I rarely get a response -- no experience! I'm working on getting certified, but we all know (a) that it's hard to get certified when you have no place to get any practical experience and (b) experience is really what companies are looking for. I feel that I can do the job, but it's not that easy to get a foot in the door. The things that Sam lists are mostly things that I do every day, just not on an Apps server. I will check into the books mentioned. I would appreciate any other suggestions, too!

Thanks!