DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Lesson Learned

I learned a lesson on Friday... I think...

When studying for the SQL and PL/SQL exam, I spent countless hours on my Server at home studying and learning.
    I also spent hours reading everything I could about SQL and PL/SQL. When I took the exam, I did well.

Right after I'd passed the first exam, I began studying for the IZ0-023 exam (Architecture and Administration). I read several study guides including the ILT materials (provided by a friend that had taken the course), I read exam crams also. I read this forum and it was a great help also. I also studied with an OCP friend that really knows Oracle.

Throughout all the reading that I did, I just didn't take much time actually on the Server. I created about 10 databases including the tablespaces. But I didn't spend time moving files around and gaining practical knowledge about Administration.

I missed passing the exam by 5 questions. While taking the exam, I knew that I would know some of the questions (alot of view questions, some on moving files around), that had I booted up the server and spent time learning hands on, I would have known the material.

So, to wrap this up, I think that the lesson I learned was that it really is necesary to not only read the books, but get on the computer alot and actually try the things out. I think had I read one book and practiced, I would have done better on the exam than reading multiple books and very little computer time.

My step now is the get on the computer and really learn the material and do the same for the 3 exams following this one.

Good luck to everyone and I hope I didn't bore too many!

-Penrith

I hope you will pass the exam next time.

Neverthless, I believe that these exams are made for people to prove their experience, not for people trying to get the OCP degree in order to gain the experience via a possible new DBA job. On the other side, I really have the admiration for those, who try to pass these hard exams without real production experience.

Hi,

These exams are tough if you have not got much practical experiance. I was just wondering if you can recall any questions from your arch and admin exam, any other tips would be a great help as i am takin the exam tomorrow.

Thanks!

re:

Julian:
    Thanks. I'm sure I will pass the next time. I was really down this past weekend when I failed. I know that I'm not the first to fail an exam and I'm sure I won't be the last. No big deal except that the money to take the exams is hard to come by.

As for experience, I don't have much. But I do have high interest in being a DBA. I just weighed too heavily on the books where I should have been on the Server. Without the paper, it's hard to get a break in the job to learn more. Especially now with the economy the way it is. A good personanlity, professional appearance, IT experience, and initiative to learn goes a long way in an interview IMHO.

I think it can be related to College... You learn the book knowledge (basic knowledge), then get a job and really learn the material.

Chucks_k:

Yea.. this exam was tough.

I recall a question about package wraps? I think that's what it was. I haven't had time to look that up. I do not remember studying anything about them in the books (I may have just over looked it).

There were a lot of dictionary view questions. That is my downfall. You either have to memorize them or really know what each does.

I feel like I knew the basics of all of the subjects. But didn't know the views.

Hope that helps.

-Penrith

Thanks ...

Originally posted by Penrith
    I missed passing the exam by 5 questions.
    Im also sorry to hear that. Dont worry, with your detemination and interest on the subject you will surely pass your next exams.

i have 1 1/2 years of DBA experience, and it helped me a lot during my preparation. A balance on Hands-on and reading will prepare you for the exam in no time.

Dont be discouraged! Good luck Penrith.
    The Maverick
    Oracle Certified DBA - 8i

Thanks D Maverick!

I haven't really been discouraged. I was bummed at first. I will learn Oracle and get the OCP =)

After talking to a few people, I found out that people that I really respect as OCP DBA's have failed exams (Same people that told me not to just read but spend hours on the server as well). I also know MCSE's that have failed. It was just a bummer that I failed. I thought I was sooo prepared. (Over studied and not enough practice).

Thanks again for the encouragment and Congrats on your OCP!

-Penrith

Originally posted by Penrith
    Thanks again for the encouragment and Congrats on your OCP!
    -Penrith
    Many people fail the OCP exams. But they simply do not addvertise it in this group. From reading messages "I've just passed P&T with 58 out 57 you may get the impression that exams are easy and everybody can pass them.

I went so close to failing the 8i Arch And Admin exam, actually, if I got one more question wrong I would've fail. Although I passed it, I did so studing only Oracle 8 documentation, therefore, leaving me to guess any 8i questions... I was lucky. I didn't fail any exams, but I didn't consider any of them "easy".
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Passed A&A yesterday with > 60/64, not trying to make you feel bad but I did not do all the practice stuff on the server that you are talking about.
    For -001 I did alot of practice 56/57, passed real good, for -101 I did the same and passed 55/57.
    How much practice do you want to do about running commands and copying files from one directory to another, especially when the commands do not run exactly as stated in the ILT book, most of the exact info you will have to get off the net, but the exam is based on how it is done in the book only.
    A&A can be very confusing, because there are a lot of commands to remember and you have to know in which situation to use them in order to pass, it took me a little over a month to get them all down, but I did not spend too much time on practice.
    If you did -001 the you know how to run commands in SQL+ and copy files from one place to the other, sit down with your ILT book and STS and master when and in what situation to you use which command.
    Save the bundles of practice for B&R and PT.