DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Transfer data from one Oracle server to another

Hybrid View

Hello,

I would like to know if anyone could tell me how I can copy some tables from one Oracle database on one server -- into another Oracle database on a different server ...

I need to move all of my tables from my development server into my production server. I have Oracle8i on both servers and they are Linux servers.

Could anyone please help me ?

Thank you.

You can either export and import the objects or use a database link to select them from the development instance to production.

Good luck.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Great !!, Thanks ...

Could you give me an example of how i would use a database link or import/export ???

Hi

Export and import utility file name differ from one Oracle version to another for example in

Oracle 7.3 -> exp73

Oracle 8.0 -> exp80

Oracle 8i -> exp

From Dos prompt or Unix prompt use the following syntax

Example of export

exp scott/tiger@orcl file=emp.dmp table=emp

Example of import

imp scott/tiger@orcl1 file=emp.dmp

You can find all options for the utilities by using the following

exp -help

or

Imp -help

Hope this will give you a start

Regards
    Santosh

OK great !! ... Im running Oracle8i on a Linux server ...

however, i just found out that our production server is behind a firewall so creating a database link between development and production would probably prove useless..

looks like i'll have to use export/import ...

thanks for you help !!!

Quote Originally Posted by silver40
    however, i just found out that our production server is behind a firewall so creating a database link between development and production would probably prove useless..
    If what you want is a DBLink just create a new listener in a weird port, ask Networking team to open that port in the firewall, point your DBLink there, Use it then shut down the new listener.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

importing oracle 8i database from one server to another

We have numerous division offices with oracle 8i servers which are using win98 and oracle 8i, where data sent through CD's . The division offices sent data to head in dos based .dmp format. I checked the size of data which is satisfactory.

c:> EXP system/manager@instance .. I selected ENTIRE export file options even exported grants , table data to yes

But when i try
    c:\> imp system/manager@instance file = abc.dmp full=y
    then it imports successfully with warnings.
    But when i see data tables no data is there in data tables which should be imported.
    any solutions to compile data??

Manpreet