I have a W2K PC on which the Installer won't run. I'm trying to install the 8.1.7 client (I've tried the 22.214.171.124 client also). The PC is running W2K SP2, has 256MB memory, 2GB free on the boot drive and 75GB free elsewhere.
The symptoms are that once "Install/Deinstall software" is chosen from the autorun dialog, nothing happens. The jrew.exe shows up in Task Manager for a second or so, then nothing. I never see the "Loading" message, the cursor goes back to normal (not busy), etc. In short, it just quits. I've tried two different CD's *and* copying the entire CD to the hard drive.
I'm guessing this is a java problem, since jrew starts and exits. This PC did have a 1.3 JDK installed on it that's used with my browser, so I uninstalled it; it didn't make any difference. The PC has never had any Oracle client installed on it, so there are no traces in the registry, etc. I also tried downloading the Software Packager from OTN to see if I could just get the installer to work, and it does the same thing (exits immediately).
So, the installer won't run, and therefore I can't get the client on this PC. I don't know how to get the installer on the PC manually to see if I can get it to run, so I don't know what to do next.
How can I troubleshoot this?
try using setup32.exe which is hidden a bit deeper in the home directory of the CD instead of setup.exe which is on the root of the CD ...
Have you tried to copy the cd to Hard disk and then run the installer from it?
It sounds like you are trying to install on a P4, without running the patch for the P4. The patch is available on Metalink.
The installation of Oracle8i on a Pentium4 computer will exit without any notice. The reason for this is that the Pentium 4 architecture has problems with the Just In Time installer.
To solve the problem, just find all copies of the file symcjit.dll and rename them to symcjit.org. The installer will now work. Copy the installation CD to the hard drive and make the changes, then install from the HDD.
Excellent everyone, thank you very much. This is indeed a Pentium 4 computer (it would not have occured to me that that was the problem), and renaming the symcjit.dll's did the trick.
Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width