DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 32bit to 64bit?

Thumbs up

is it possible to upgrade 32bit oracle sever to 64bit?
    i have 8.1.7 for solaris.bit t is in 32 bit.so i need to make it 64 bit ,so that i can get better performance!

Hi Peri,

To upgrade to 64 bit , do the following steps :

1) Shutdown the existing 32 bit Oracle database.

2) Take a full offline backup of the database.

3) Install the 64-bit Oracle software for Solaris.

4) Start up Oracle Database using STARTUP RESTRICT.

5) Run UTLIRP.SQL ( The UTLIRP.SQL script recompiles existing PL/SQL modules in the format required by the new database )

6) run the command : ALTER SYSTEM DISABLE RESTRICTED SESSION

Now you are ready for using 64 bit oracle.

Thanks
    Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Oracle DB Resources ( http://oracle.dbresources.com) - Online community for Oracle DBAs and Developer
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Originally posted by perisekar
    so i need to make it 64 bit ,so that i can get better performance!
    If you want to use 64 bit over 32 bit only for performance reasons, then reconsider your decision again. If your database is not realy a VLDB so a 4GB limit is not realy a threat to your SGA and user processes memory consumption, then moving to 64 bit release will not realy achive any noticable performance improvement.

On the other side, having a 64 bit Oracle release can have (at least for the time being) some drawbacks. For example, new releases/patches are always available first for 32 bits. I also assume the support from Oracle can only be worse for 64-bit than for 32-bit, as majority of the support personel has much more experience with 32 bit releases and 32 bit OS.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Just a quick note. The patch_note.htm file says to run the script UTLIRP.SQL after the patch install and catalog / catproc has been ran.
    THIS IS NOT CORRECT IF THIS IS THE SCRIPT THAT IS RAN YOU WILL GET AN ORA-600 ERROR. The correct script is UTLRP.SQL

I have also heard that 32 bit oracle can be as much as 3% faster than 64 bit. I would expect the result to favour 32-bit more strongly with smaller SGA sizes, but of course
    64-bit would win at larger SGA sizes. The difference would be less for filesystem based databases. The bottom line is
    that there is not much difference, but that you are better to stick with 32-bit Oracle unless you need a large SGA.

Vj

Hi,
    If you really want to switch 32 bit to 64 bit, pls follow by jason's suggestion. The correct script you need to run is utlirp.sql not utlrp.sql. I recently changed serveral database from 32 bit to 64 bit and vice-versa. but not for perfermance reason. Pls be careful if you have java system loaded in you database...