Hello,

Currently I'm running Oracle 8.0.3 in UNIX platform. Recently have hit the max limit on the no. of datafiles of 80. 80 was specified in our init.ora earlier.

1. What is the maximum limit indicated by Oracle (if any)? Seems to me that this limit can be increased via the init.ora file. So can I always increase whenever it has hit the limit that I have specified earlier?

2. If I don't increase the no. of datafiles and I resort to increasing the datafile size, what is the limit in the datafile size again? Noting that my HDD size is 6.1G. My default datafile size has been set to 200MB. Due to the recent limit, have increased to 400MB. But I can't simply keep increasing this datafile size infinitely right? Any better solution?

3. 'coz of the above stated problem, I'm thinking of exporting the tables into *.dmp. But with the huge amount of records, it would definitely take days to export or even hang the system. Think there are about a few millions records in each table.
Any better suggestion(s) on how this can be taken care of? I cannot increase the storage space due to some constraints. Could only off-load the data to other media devices or export the data out and reduce the number of records in the database.

Please advise.

Thanks a lot.