DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: problem regarding block corruption

Red face

Hi,
    We are using Oracle version 7.3.4 enterprise edition.
    Recently , I have noticed a problem , a oracle block is corrupted in datafile 8 '/../peerindex.dbf' . The datafile corresponds to index tablespace . Now I want to find out
    to know which index is corrupted ? How to find out that ?
    How to solve the problem ?

Is Dbverify(dbv) and dbms_repair utility available on UNIX platform under this version ?

i think dbms_repair is only in versions 8i onwards.
    You can run analyze ..validate structure on the objects and find out.
    Vinit

dbv (dbverify) is available since a long time ago, definitely it is available in 7.3.4.

BTW, how did you discover dhe block being corupted? If it was repoprted by oracle via some ORA- error message during some query, than the error should also be recorded in your alert log, together with the exact block location (datafile number, block number). Check your alert log, once you discover the block location it should be easy to define to which segment this block belongs to.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Hi,

The corruption appears in some situations, dbv, export ...

Oracle reformat all blocks when it use, but in indexes case not. Then you can drop the index, create a temporary table on index tablespace, insert data in this table, and when Oracle gets this corrupted block it will format. Then you will drop the temporary table and recreate the index.

Hope that helps

Angel

Hi again,

If you execute the Oracle utility dbv on this file, it done to you a block_id or various. With this you will be able to know wich objects have this corrupted blocks with:

select file_name,file_id
    from dba_data_files
    where file_name like '%your_file%';

With this file_id:

select owner,segment_name,segment_type
    from dba_extents
    where file_id= your_file_id
    and number_corrupted_block_from_dbv between block_id
    and block_id+bocks -1;

Hope that helps

Angel

Originally posted by aarroyob
    Hi,

The corruption appears in some situations, dbv, export ...

Oracle reformat all blocks when it use, but in indexes case not. Then you can drop the index, create a temporary table on index tablespace, insert data in this table, and when Oracle gets this corrupted block it will format. Then you will drop the temporary table and recreate the index.

Hope that helps

Angel
    i don't think loading data to a predefined block is possible. This is managed internally by Oracle (based on freelists. )

Vinit

[/B][/QUOTE]

i don't think loading data to a predefined block is possible. This is managed internally by Oracle (based on freelists. )

[/B][/QUOTE]

Hi vinit,

I didn´t say you load data to a predefined block, only load data, but if you are loading data, in anywhere oracle will get this corrupted block. I know is not very funny but ..... I don´t know other solution beside recreate the database :-)

Regards

Angel

corruption of block

Thanks to all of U.
    but the funniest thing is that Oracle has not reported this eror either in alert log or in any trace files . Then I did down the database, remove all background trace files and alert log file,
    check the the value of background_dump_dest . After that I did startup the database and try to run the same query . This
    time once again reports corruption of block and I looked for the error message in trace as well as alert log , but no message . why so ?

try udump