DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How can I determine my physical Memory

Hi Friends,
    I am using TOAD to monitor my SGA and I have this

May need to increase DB_BLOCK_BUFFER I just increased and I have 20000

Shared_pool too low. I just increase from 40,000,000 to 100,000,000. and my DB_BLOCK_SIZE is 8192

Db_files too high I also just reduced this in the init.ora file from 50 to 35 and while reading some books it says whatever is in the maxdatafile overides the init. Does this mean my changes wont have effect and will it impact anything.

Although with all this changes my buffer cache hit ratio as increased from 86% to 89.
    I also have some indexes with ext count of about 15. I know I need to rebuild. Also does anyone know what oracle considers a high extent count in Table and index.

Total used space on this database is 21,769.

I have about 2 of the database with same problem.

Can you pls advise.
    smiles off

I assume that you are using file system, in this case there is no need to rebuild indexes just because extents count is 15. However,there some other criteria to be looked at to determine if indexes need to be rebuit , such as
    If the index has height greater than four, rebuild the index.
    The deleted leaf rows should be less than 20% of the total number of leaf rows.
    Look into command analyze index "index" validate structure , it will help you to determine if index is 'healthy"
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Look into command analyze index "index" validate structure , it will help you to determine if index is 'healthy"
    The info is stored in INDEX_STATS. When you validate the next index the new info is written over the old index's info. So, index by index....

Thank you all but can you pls look into the first problem for me on the Db_Block_buffer and stuffs.

Thanks.
    smiles off

20000 db_buffers * 8192 = 163840000 or somewhere around 160Mb. How much memory you have on a server?
    160 Mb does not sound right.
    One, who thinks that the other one who thinks that know and does not know, does not know either!

Originally posted by BV1963
    20000 db_buffers * 8192 = 163840000 or somewhere around 160Mb. How much memory you have on a server?
    160 Mb does not sound right.
    It's OK if he has the memory. 20000 is not much at all!

Dont rely on TOAD, PERIOD