DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which books better?

Wink

Hi guys,

check with you all something, which are the books are good for preparing ocp?

Oracle press ( osborne ) or sybex?

Learning oracle8i ? or ?????? For Exam??

Any feedback are most welcome??

All the help is greatly appreciated, pls, tell me, what are the difference between both of them. Thanks.

MCSE,MCDBA,MCSD,CCNA,CCDA,CCSA,CCSE, MCSA, SCSA, OCP

Osborne seems to be closer to ILTS

I used Osborne and Sybex for the PL/SQL test and the osborne material seemed to go into the material a bit deeper. I am currently studying for the AA test and I am finding the Couchman material to be similar to the ILTS the way the material is covered (somewhat).

SYBEX...

When I bought my Sybex books, Oracle Press didn't even have the Net Admin exam included in the book, it was only on CD, I don't know if this is still the case.

But go SYBEX, it's only weak point is the B&R section which can be covered by purchasing Debbie Wongs, B&R exam cram for 8i.

Hope this helps,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

I would still go for Oracle Press. Net8 is only on CD but I did print it, no problem..

I used Sybex and Couchman. In my opinion, Couchman is a very good writer and his books provide comprehensive coverage of the exam material.

Good luck
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

When I bought my Sybex books, Oracle Press didn't even have the Net Admin exam included in the book, it was only on CD, I don't know if this is still the case.

The Sybex Net Admin is bundled with PT in one hardcover book. The only problem with the set is some of the self test questions are wrong (you can find the right answers on the Sybex web site) and the bonus exams are totally wrong, again you can get the right answers off their web site.

Gee,
    OCP 8i DBA

My Vote would definitely go to Couchman: Oracle Press.

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

gee, every book has questions wrong, even Couchman's books. I've read both books, and Sybex, in my opinion, is lot clearer, easy to read, and provides more details on the admin tools graphical user interfaces.

I think danielwong, you should go to your bookstore and have a flick through both books. When I went to buy my book, I was convinced of getting Couchman... I ended up buying the SYBEX bundle. I found it was in an easier font to read, laid out better, and in a collection of three books. Allowing you to keep two books at work, whilst you read the third at home. Rather than keeping all your resources in one place.

But, each to their own.

Cheers guys,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Wink

Hey guys,

thanks for all your informations. Hope that you all will have a pleasant day ahead.

see ya!!!
    MCSE,MCDBA,MCSD,CCNA,CCDA,CCSA,CCSE, MCSA, SCSA, OCP

Singapore(Asia)-WebCentre business company
    hey Danielwong,

say where are u from? ur nick is familiar..