DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sun Solaris certification

I am currently and Oracle DBA OCP but with no paid experience. I am trying to attempt to study for the Sun Solaris certification. Any idea whether it will possibly pay off in finding a job? How difficult is the second paper and how can one practice at home since the sun solaris network concerns OS in a network enviornments? Any comments/help will be appreciated. Thankyou.

I'm also starting my certification in Sun Admin. I'm just waiting for my book that I bought to arrive. I think Sun Solaris certification is definitely beneficial for Oracle DBA's. Diversifying your skills in these times is essential, and having Sun certification will definitely put you in favour for positions.

Cheers,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

grjohnson,

Do you think a Java Certification will be a good supplement for DBA OCP? i kinda like to persue Java certification too.

Thanks
    The Maverick
    Oracle Certified DBA - 8i

I would think getting Solaris Certification is more relevant to DBAs. Java is more development oriented. Of course, if you have time and energy, the more the better.

There is also the following: if I interview a guy with a bunch of certifications, the red light in my head might start to flash :-) It is a bit suspicious why someone (for example) has OCP DBA, Java Certification, Sun certification... What is he trying to prove??

The point is: a one point you might not be taken to seriously with a bunch of documents certifying that you are the guru of all gurus....

Julians statement about certificate collectors seems right on.

In my market, there seems to be different skill combinations in demand:

DBA only
    DBA with Unix (usually Solaris) System Admin skills
    DBA with database design skills
    DBA with Web Server or App Server (Weblogic or Websphere) skills and Java.

Currently, the amount of development is low and the best way to cross sell oneself is with Solaris skills. When development becomes affordable again, I believe the mix will change.

Good luck.
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

if you hold many certifications some peeps prob think this guys is jack of many master of none, a friend of mine who holds OCP and several certs (MCSE, CCNA, MCSD, Sun Java) wasnt accepted in a company coz of that and obviously he cant agree with that but when I asked him what are you gonna do? You know all that? He said he knew it when he was studying for the certs but just remember some of everything now because he cant get a job which would let him work with all of that

I recogn if you like certs a couple should be enough, one for development and one for system administration OR one for network and one for system administration, I mean you are not gonna work with all three areas in any kind of company unless you plan to change company once per year

Anyway Sun´s marketing skills are pretty good and that is why Solaris is popular but several collegues have already mentioned that Sun´s harwdare is not the best after using them for sometime and the companies are considering other hardware as alternatives for new implemnetations

[Edited by pando on 11-30-2001 at 08:32 AM]

Hi everyone
    I have same problem about confused me with certification choice.
    The reason is I'm not in program market now.
    I really like be in this group, but just don't know "Am I ready?"

My present job is financial manager, BS and Banking degree,
    Work CPA auditor 2y, Chemical industry Cost Accounting 5y
    then General Accouting manager sill now.
    Pass SCJP and prepare OCP exam now.
    Every job all show need experience, Is mean I never can change my job market? But, I was study hard and really like to change.

Which certification will work for me? People said, certification is didn't mean anything, but for me, that is only way that make me to change job market. Is everyone can tell me, I have other way to do that?

Michelle

Michelle
    SCJP, OCP Dev 2, 6/6i

Michelle,

Have you considered Oracle Applications or SAP as career steps?
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Hi,

After pass OCP, my next one may be SAP because that is only one open to individual but exam schedule is fixative.
    and cannot find CD with book.
    Oracle financial exam was retire on Jun. 2001
    People only exam for employee and partner

And I also interest Sun Solaris, MicroSoft C++, VB, Sun J2EE..
    I know is too much for me, but which will help me get in this market?

Thanks for your help,

Michelle
    SCJP, OCP Dev 2, 6/6i