DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MTS Doubts!!!

Hi,

I have some doubts on MTS related stuff.

1. CONNECTIONS & SESSION attributes of MTS_DISPATCHERS. I'm unable to understand the diff. I have gone through the help but I found it vague.

CONNECTIONS (CON or CONN) Specifies the maximum number of network connections to allow
    for each dispatcher

SESSIONS (SES or SESS) The maximum number of network sessions to allow for each dispatcher.

I appreciate if someone can explain the differences between the above two.

2. Setting Dispatcher Address

mts_dispatchers="(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=144.25.16.201))(dispatchers=2)"

In the above attributes of mts_dispatchers, host attribute is mentioned. Can I have dispatchers located on a different machine other than the database server? Or Is this attribute existing for paraller server configuration?

Looking forward for your answers!!!

Thanks in advance,

Shanker

Hi..

The difference between connections and sessions is to do with connection pooling :-

Imagine you wanted a dispatcher that could have 15 connections but only 10 doing any work. the remaining 5 would be idle (the pool). You have 10 physical network connections serving 15 clients.

The mount of time an idle connection will wait in the pool is specified using the ticks option of the mts_dispatcher parameter.

Not sure about second question.

Once you have eliminated all of the impossible,
    whatever remains however improbable,
    must be true.