DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 9i and 81

Can I install Oracle 8i and 9i on the same Win 2K machine?

Sure, as long as your 8i release is certified with Win2000...
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Can you elaborate on 'Certified' jmodic?

Raminder Singh

Oracle Certified DBA: Oracle 8i, 9i

Mail me at raminderahluwalia@rediffmail.com.

I'm not sure I used the correct term ("certified"), but some of the earlier releases that were implemented for WinNT do not run successfully on Win2000. Maybo you are able to install them and run them successfully on Win200, but you won't get any support from Oracle for them. You can find out on http://www.oracle.com or elsewhere which releases were tested and are guaranteed by Oracle corp. to run on Win2000. If I'm not mistaken, 8.1.6 is the first 8i release taht is "certified" with Win2000.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

If I'm not mistaken, 8.1.6 is the first 8i release taht is "certified" with Win2000.
    Was the first release, not is :-) The error correction support ended on October 31st, 2001:

Product Obsolescence / Desupport Information:
    Oracle Corporation announces the end of Error Correction Support for Oracle Server - Client, Enterprise Edition, Parallel Server, Personal Edition & Standard Edition/Workgroup Server version(s) 8.1.6 (8i) on the following platform(s): ALL Platforms, effective 31-OCT-2001.
    Oracle Corporation recommends customers upgrade/migrate to the following as soon as possible to maintain the highest level of support: Oracle Server - Client, Enterprise Edition, Personal Edition & Standard Edition/Workgroup Server 8.1.7 (8i) on any Oracle certified platform.

EAS will be provided until 31-OCT-2004, if the customer has a current support contract in place.