DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Initial Extent sizes on tables

If LMTs are used, are Dr.Codd's principles of RDBMS violated?
    :-)))))))

But tablespaces were part of DD

Dr. Codd's rule states that data dictionary should be the ultimate reference point for all database objects. I understand that tablespaces are also part of the database object definitions and hence my query about violation of Codd's rules.....

tablespace is transaparent, when Codd stated the rule I doubt tablespaces were invented?

Now that LMTs have the storage parameters as part of themselves, how do we query them?

Originally posted by sundaju
    But tablespaces were part of DD

Dr. Codd's rule states that data dictionary should be the ultimate reference point for all database objects. I understand that tablespaces are also part of the database object definitions and hence my query about violation of Codd's rules.....
    Which Codd's rule are you refering to? No rule of Codd mentions tablespaces.

Originally posted by sundaju
    Now that LMTs have the storage parameters as part of themselves, how do we query them?

they are stored in datafile headers that is why querying the storage parameters in LMT has more overhead

Fellow DBA's,

I was testing the use of LMT's on a test database. From a 14MB dump file, when I import it into a dictionary managed tablespace, it fills up 24 MB. But when the same dump is imported into an LMT, it need 340MB of datafile space.

I know this sounds crazy, but does anybody have any explanations for this. Also when creating a LMT what is the difference between extent autoallocate and uniform size.

Thanks,
    Nizar

In LMTs,

Uniform extents will cause Oracle to allocate extents of uniform size in the tablespace. If the initial extent size is greater than this size, then Oracle will allocate enough uniform extents to match the amount of space requested for the initial extent.

On the other hand, when AUTO ALLOCATE is used, Oracle uses an internal algorith to control the extent sizes.