DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installation

Hi,

We are in the process of installing Oracle8i(817)on VMS. Please advise me as to Which bundle to choose : Oracle Enterprise Edition or Standard Edition ? What is the difference between these two?

Thanks,

SPN

While I am familiar with VMS, I haven't used it with Oracle and not in the last 5 years. Generically speaking Oracle Enterprise has everything that Standard Oracle has plus the following.

Replication, The ability to save archive logs directly to another db using a tnsnames entry, Clustering.

For example if you want to use Oracle Fail Safe with a VMS cluster you would probably need Enterprise. If you want to run it standalone on one machine than Standard would be cheaper.

I used to be a VAX/ALPHA Computer Operator. Do you see companies sticking with VMS or do you see them converting over to Sun or IBM? Just Curious.

Originally posted by gandolf989

For example if you want to use Oracle Fail Safe with a VMS cluster you would probably need Enterprise. If you want to run it standalone on one machine than Standard would be cheaper.
    Hi Gandolf989,

Oracle Fail Safe is only for Microsoft Platform.

Best regards

Angel

Thanks for your info. Yes I think , still there are some installations on VMS running Oracle. I am also new to VMS. I used to be an UNIX guy.

SPN

Originally posted by SPN
    Please advise me as to Which bundle to choose : Oracle
    Enterprise Edition or Standard Edition ?

It depends on your company license agreement. Check your agreement to see what you are entitled to use. Otherwise call your oracle representative and check it out

Originally posted by SPN

What is the difference between these two?

SPN
    Do a search on this forum and you would find a number of discussions on the differences between the two. The search link is on the top blue pannel

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!