DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Recover from cold backup

Has anyone tried to recover the database with a full offline backup and all the archived logs? Assume you have all the needed old files (datafile,control file...) and have lost all your current files except those archived logs. I know how to recover from hot backup, but for this one...

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the help.
    Just want to confirm that the control file used in the scenario (from Metalink) is the old control file backed up at OS level, because I assume I cann't access the current database to create a up-to-date backup control file should there be some kind of fatal failure.

Yup, the backup controlfile is actually the current controlfile. You use it as a backup controlfile so you can apply your archived redo logs.
    Jeff Hunter

Which means if I lost all the current files ( incl control file), I will not be able to recover the database using cold backup files plus archived logs, am I right? Can I restore all the datafile, create a new controle file ( using script from 'backup controlfile to trace' taken at cold backup time), and roll forward through all the archived logs? Every tried?

That's a different story. First, you need to create your controlfile. You can do this from a trace file. Check out http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/...p_id=1014504.6 for details.

Once you have created your "backup controlfile", you can now recover through your last archived redo log file.

Unfortunately, I've done this dozens of times...
    Jeff Hunter